Do headphones wear out?
Nov 1, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 38
At the pace that technology and market is changing nowadays. I don't think anything is supposed to, or needs to, last for a lifetime. That being said, my K501 purchased in 1999 still works very well. There is some wear and tear in the grille and the cable's jacket. I think it will at least work for another six years or so.

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #17 of 38
Hmm, I think the drivers should last 25 years, if the headphones are kept in a dry, temperature controlled environment. The rest of the headphone, questionable... that's why many higher-end cans have replaceable earpads, cable, headband, etc.

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Headphones can last quite a while if properly cared for. My father says that he has a high-class pair of Pioneer headphones back in Taiwan and they still work. The headphones were bought in the late 70s.

Regards,
Venio

Those old Pioneer headphones, are just like regualar speakers (with paper cones), but smaller, some of thme sounded really decent, but nothing like the modern drivers made out of fancy materials. They do indeed last longer, but the new organic materials, that are used nowdays are more prone to deteriorate due to humidity, temperature changes, abuse, etc...

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Those old Pioneer headphones, are just like regualar speakers (with paper cones), but smaller, some of thme sounded really decent, but nothing like the modern drivers made out of fancy materials. They do indeed last longer, but the new organic materials, that are used nowdays are more prone to deteriorate due to humidity, temperature changes, abuse, etc...

Oh I see. No wonder they're so huge.
eek.gif
Fortunately most headphones aren't life-long investments and can be easily replaced over the years.

Unless you have a limited edition headphone.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #21 of 38
An issue with my HD 439.
When I bought them they were somewhat dark cans with recessed highs. Later on after 2 years of daily indoor use frequency balance seemed to become perfect. Now after 3 years of use the low end is almost gone and a spike at around 5.5 KHz is present. A planned deterioration? Pre-defined time to buy a new product? Screw you Sennheiser! I'll do a bass mod.
p.s. Tried washing pads - no go.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #22 of 38
I do think most headphones with have a finite lifespan. Only Electrodynamic headphones I can think on the top of my head that may last 100+ years is the DT 48/480 due to the materials the transducers are made out of.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #23 of 38
Which is the type that loses its magnetism over time? I did shy away from a very obscure, but awesome looking set of headphones some months ago because I read that type of headphone loses its magnetism or some such thing over time and will be very quiet. All the seller said in the Craigslist post was "Works" so I didn't get a good vibe and avoided the buy. I wish I could remember who the manufacturer was... it was a familiar name, just not in headphones. A German manufacturer iirc.

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #25 of 38
I have a pair of HD600's from 1999 that still sound perfect. In fact, they sound indistinguishable to my buddy's brand new pair of new-frame HD600's once I changed the pads out. The paint on mine is worn out, the clamping force is basically gone (but oh my god they're comfy, and if you need more, you can do the inverse of the bending mod) and the wires had to be swapped out - as did the top headband padding. But that's truly it. Sonically, they are perfect.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #26 of 38
Yes they do as I have classic Hifimans and the 6 's headband and yoke has pulled apart. But, looks like newer stuff looks to last longer. Sennheisers probably never wear out except the pads. lol Just the most ideal utilitarian design.

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 38
I have found I inevitably get drawn into new headphones of greater quality or newer tech before ever detecting degradatio.

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #28 of 38
I have found I inevitably get drawn into new headphones of greater quality or newer tech before ever detecting degradatio.
Sadly, the same can be said for me. I'm always attracted to newer tech / newer headphones, so despite the great care I take to keep my existing headphones in tip-top condition, my interest will be inevitably drawn to something newer down the road. Hence, even if the headphones were to survive a decade of use, it'd probably be left by the wayside, more often than not.

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #29 of 38
Sadly, the same can be said for me. I'm always attracted to newer tech / newer headphones, so despite the great care I take to keep my existing headphones in tip-top condition, my interest will be inevitably drawn to something newer down the road. Hence, even if the headphones were to survive a decade of use, it'd probably be left by the wayside, more often than not.
Over time, I have come to upgrade all at once and quickly, then not again for ten years or so. This way I have the maximum time enjoying the music and the profound improvement that comes from a sizable time for technology to advance and my ability to pay for a higher level. I am retired now, so this last year I started with my headphone system... the amazing and most profound jump in quality of sound I have ever experienced spurred me on to upgrade my main audio system... also experiencing the biggest jump in performance in the fifty years I have been at this. I am sure to be happy at this level for a very long time. (Well when I get my new turntable that is on order).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back