Do headphones matter when choosing a source?
Jun 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

william campbell

New Head-Fier
How important is it to consider headphones when choosing a source? I am planning on purchasing a Rudistor RPX-33 to go with my Ultrasone Edition 9 phones. I am seriously considering a Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player. This is supposed to have real synergy. But I also plan on purchasing additional phones in the future (JVC DX1000 for starters). Will the Opus 21 have the same synergy with the JVCs as it does with the Edition 9 phones? How important is it to consider the different phones that I may use in the future when choosing a source?
As always, thanks for any help.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 12
By source you mean your transport?
I don't know much about cd transports because I use computer audio. However, you'd want a cd transport that can output a clean bit perfect digital signal with the least jitter as possible.
If someone can correct me, I don't think there is any synergy between transports and headphones. However, you'll find synergy between the three following components: DAC, amplifier and headphones.
For the DAC, the best way to go IMO is neutral. Most amps and headphones have a certain coloration so some go very well together and other don't. For example, people have said that the AKG K702 don't go verry well with Little Dot MK amps but go well with Darkvoice amps.
I enjoy verry much my Sennheiser HD650 with the Compass.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 12
RPX-33 is good at dealing with a variety of headphones so should be fine (it can deal with Ed.9, DX1000, 701 etc etc just fine). I personally would not choice source based on one or two headphones as one tends to gather a variety of headphones over time. As long as you like the sound of the Opus it should be fine. Just make sure it matches the amp though, so say a cold sounding CD player may not be best match for RPX33 etc. I haven't heard Opus before so can't advise you there but it has good reviews if I remembered correctly.

punk_guy182 - source as in sound source like CD player

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By source you mean your transport?
I don't know much about cd transports because I use computer audio. However, you'd want a cd transport that can output a clean bit perfect digital signal with the least jitter as possible.
If someone can correct me, I don't think there is any synergy between transports and headphones. However, you'll find synergy between the three following components: DAC, amplifier and headphones.
For the DAC, the best way to go IMO is neutral. Most amps and headphones have a certain coloration so some go very well together and other don't. For example, people have said that the AKG K702 don't go verry well with Little Dot MK amps but go well with Darkvoice amps.
I enjoy verry much my Sennheiser HD650 with the Compass.

I don't mean transports, I mean either a DAC or CD player. Thanks.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by william campbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean transports, I mean either a DAC or CD player. Thanks.

But CD player alone is a transport...

-Nkk

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Source: No (digital reader/digital to analog converter)
Amp: yes

A good source should remain "color free" and natural, thus it has minor impact for your headphone decicion.
The only reason could be if the HP's are very analytical, but then the digital media (CD/recording) is more important.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 12
I think what he means in the output stage of a source, so the output stage of a DAC or CD player.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 12
I'd also say the source is not something you choose for headphones. If you want to fiddle with the sound, you can do so with amplification and it'll be "easier".

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm a "source is king" kinda guy so making a choice on this critical component will affect everything down the line, naturally. That being said I agree with the premise that source should be as tone neutral as possible so as to not limit amp choices when it comes time to put a good sounding whole system together.

Once you have a great source lined up the real system synergy resides between the amp and headphone relationship. If they compliment each other well the source will simply fuse with the pairing and sound great. It's as simple as that.

Search criteria IMHO...................

A) Neutral high quality source job # 1
B) Highest quality cans you can afford. Buy based on listening habits and suitability of the headphone to the genre of music you listen to. Do not buy based on looks...throw that thought out the window right away. It's not a beauty contest after all
smily_headphones1.gif

C) Once you have the headphones selected and know their strengths and weaknesses you can then match the amp to them (be it tube, hybrid or SS).The search function in head fi becomes your best resource...but remember this nothing beats your own listening evaluations. Cater to your ears first and foremost which means a little soul searching in order to discover what you really prefer deep down. If you already know this then your one step closer to the goal !

D) cabling needs to be of good quality at the very minimum. Some really good gear can sound rather ordinary with cheap cables.....I know this won't sit well with those that think otherwise so please folks this last suggestion is in IMHO.

Peete.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a "source is king" kinda guy so making a choice on this critical component will affect everything down the line, naturally. That being said I agree with the premise that source should be as tone neutral as possible so as to not limit amp choices when it comes time to put a good sounding whole system together.

Once you have a great source lined up the real system synergy resides between the amp and headphone relationship. If they compliment each other well the source will simply fuse with the pairing and sound great. It's as simple as that.

Search criteria IMHO...................

A) Neutral high quality source job # 1
B) Highest quality cans you can afford. Buy based on listening habits and suitability of the headphone to the genre of music you listen to. Do not buy based on looks...throw that thought out the window right away. It's not a beauty contest after all
smily_headphones1.gif

C) Once you have the headphones selected and know their strengths and weaknesses you can then match the amp to them (be it tube, hybrid or SS).The search function in head fi becomes your best resource...but remember this nothing beats your own listening evaluations. Cater to your ears first and foremost which means a little soul searching in order to discover what you really prefer deep down. If you already know this then your one step closer to the goal !

D) cabling needs to be of good quality at the very minimum. Some really good gear can sound rather ordinary with cheap cables.....I know this won't sit well with those that think otherwise so please folks this last suggestion is in IMHO.

Peete.

L3000.gif
x2 Very good suggestions. I agree.

Except D) (regular cables are good enough
wink.gif
)

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 12
worrying between amp and headphones synergy makes a lot more sense than headphones / source. components that do not have direct contact suffer less from synergy problems.
However, this does NOT mean that a source will definitely work well with your rig. It might not fit there, not necessarily because of the headphones.

Like in most other cases, the only definite answer is to go and listen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back