Do headphones go together well with single driver loudspeakers?
Jun 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, I don't know where he got that statement from. To me, it seems like there's so much detail and fullness of sound in real life that speakers and headphones just simply can't compete with for the same reasons that a real pipe organ will blow an electronic one out of the water with. It's not even a matter of turning up the bass or the treble on any sound system.

I hate to say it, but when you get out there in the musical world, you realize that everything you've ever heard from any headphone has been at best a rudimentary replication of that sound. Take St. Mary the Virgin's Aeolian-Skinner in NYC. I recently played that organ. I heard a recording of it and thought it was nothing special. It didn't sound very full or loud. Sure enough, in real life, I immediately realized that I had my volume control set at a mere fraction of the decibel level the organ reaches. The contra bombardes were almost shaking me off the organ bench, the low 32' flutes made my innards rattle to the point where you get nauceous, and full organ, even for a second, literally left my ears ringing. It's not just for organs. When I first heard the Philadelphia Orchestra live, I was blown away by how much presence and impact the double basses had compared to what I heard in my headphones. You can have 15 subwoofers and not duplicate that same exact PLUCK in real life that just grabs you out of your seat by your ears.

As for single-driver designs, I've never heard a good one, so I can't comment, but my experience is that the more drivers a speaker system has, the better it sounds. I've especially found that three-way systems sound much, much better than two-way because they fill in the midrange to the point where it's coherent and detailed, and not compromised between two sources.

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! The reason I was so moved by that statement is that yes, indeed. a stereo cannot recreate live music. I also think that it should not. a great system should come close though. where it diverges (out of physical limitations), however, it should simply make people happy. to communicate musical intent. if not live volume settings.

I think that to intentionally make things unrealistic by bass and treble boosts (sometimes inherent in the design of two way, three way, or even single driver monitors) is unfortunate practice.

-There are good single driver designs out there. It is a growing market sector. Computer speakers included...but also the ultra expensive realm and everything in between is growing, which is where I look up at the rest of the world from.

-Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back