do headphones cause more hearing loss than speakers?
Aug 2, 2011 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

customcoco

Headphoneus Supremus

for example, put an in ear microphone on and set up the volume so it is equal when you're wearing headphones And when you're listening to speakers. 

does the proximity of the driver makes headphones more dangerous for your hearing?

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 11
The short answer is that neither of them cause hearing loss unless you turn them up too loud and for too long.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 11
yes, but it's the short answer. 

when you listen to something everyday, even at low volume (say, 65db maxi)  and for short period of time (say, 30 minutes) you'll experience hearing loss, it's natural. 

so my question is : what causes the most hearing loss?

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
when you listen to something everyday, even at low volume (say, 65db maxi)  and for short period of time (say, 30 minutes) you'll experience hearing loss, it's natural.

I'm pretty sure that 65dB for 30 minutes a day won't have any noticeable impact on the rate of hearing loss. Yes, hearing is always decaying, albeit slowly, but you'll need longer exposure and higher volume to have an impact beyond regular old 50dB 24-hour background noise.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
yes, but it's the short answer. 

so my question is : what causes the most hearing loss?

Well your body is essentially slowly dying after you reach around twenty years of age (often even less).  Your eye sieght decays, as do your senses and hearing.  Sad but true.  Just don't constantly blast music and you should be fine.  If you are trully worried measure the db output, 65 db for thirty minutes is less sound then you shall get often in everyday life (in a city for example) and is nothing to be worried about.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 11
I vaguely remember reading in a newspaper that for various psychoacoustic reasons headphones are comfortable to listen to at volumes that would be more overtly loud if you reproduced the same sound pressure level with speakers. Having said that, UK newspapers are not known for their attention to scientific accuracy.

EDIT: Also, don't sneeze;apparently it does cause measurable additional hearing loss when occurring regularly over a long period of time (such as if you suffer from allergies.) Ask Wikipedia.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 11
I like it when speakers punch me in the chest.
Headphones just can't do that.

If I had to guess, then I'd say headphones damage your
ear more than speakers, simply because the sound is
focused and directed straight into your ear. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

EDIT: Also, don't sneeze;apparently it does cause measurable additional hearing loss when occurring regularly over a long period of time (such as if you suffer from allergies.) Ask Wikipedia.

I wondered why I had tinnitus... i'm allergic to dust since two years
eek.gif

EDIT: I took an appointment with an ENT for the end of this month, I'll ask him about that (speakers/headphones and the sneezing). 

please cross your fingers for me 
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 11
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 11
Aug 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 11
If anything I would think the in ear phones would be worse since the vibration and whatnot might have a more physical impact on your eardrum. However, I'd think it would be the same either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back