Do headphones cause hearing loss?
Sep 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 54
Like it has been said, everything can cause hear-loss.
It's good to remember that when you are listening to headphones, first pick up a good volume that doesn't hurt your ears and don't raise the volume after that since your ears are getting more and more numb and your brains want higher volumes but that's what destroys your ears. If that volume hurts at first, so it does in the end, you just don't realize it.
I also think that better headphones are better for ears. When you hear music a lot clearer you can pick up details from music without cranking up the high volumes. Picking up those small details is the drug of music for me.
(Sry if this post is messy, I'm sleepy as hell)

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 54

Using headphones could actually improve your hearing or maintain them.  The more you use a particular sense, then better it gets.  If you listen intently with headphones at a reasonable volume, this could well work towards maintaining your hearing.

It's all really about moderation and variety.  

Moderate volume

Moderate duration

Multiple genres

Take walks out and listen to nature..... if you can..... the city life can actually be more harmful to your hearing.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #18 of 54

Quote:
Do you know how hard it is to listen at 'normal' volumes?  I swear, there's a little man inside my head saying "just a little louder... just a little louder..."
frown.gif

Actually, I think his exact words were "This one goes to 11."

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 54
Don't forget its not just the spl that count but also the duration.

I would never make it a habit of falling asleep with headphones/earphones.  Even lower volume (but still a somewhat loud) over several hours can start to cause some damage.  Look at the OSHA and NIOSH standards (copy/paste from http://www.willsongs.com/misc/sound_rebuke/index.htm):

[size=10pt] [size=medium]exposure time[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]OSHA[/size]
(dBA)
[/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]NIOSH[/size]
(dBA)
[/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]8 hour[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]90[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]85[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]4 hour[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]95[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]88[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]2 hour[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]100[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]91[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]1 hour[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]105[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]94[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]30 min[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]110[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]97[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]15 min[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]115[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]100[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]7.5 min[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]120[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]103[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=medium]3.25 min[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]125[/size][/size][size=10pt] [size=medium]106[/size][/size]

Remember to rest your ears with some quite time!

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #20 of 54

Quote:
Do you know how hard it is to listen at 'normal' volumes?  I swear, there's a little man inside my head saying "just a little louder... just a little louder..."
frown.gif

I think rock music in its various forms is built on the idea of abandon.

I used to listen to rock music, in its slightly intellectualised form I guess, things like Talking Heads or Cabaret Voltaire or many others, but I haven't for years. Even in that slightly intellectualised form rock music still has abandon at its core.

This abandon allied to the way rock music is recorded, layered up electronic instruments filling all the sound space, is a dangerous mix. You have this desire to listen to it louder and louder.

With headphones the social constraint preventing you from making a racket is removed so they can enable you to damage your hearing.

Nowadays I don't listen to rock music at all. I love classical and mostly listen to 19th C up to present day, but I also listen to a great deal from the previous centuries.

Listening to this music there is no man inside the head saying "crank it up". It brings on a desire instead to explore. It rewards exploration, and exploration is a quiet activity.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 54
"What? Eh, what?"

You'll regret it, sooner or later. 
rolleyes.gif

I enjoy rock and metal songs at low volume too, about 55 dB that is.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #23 of 54

Quote:
I think rock music in its various forms is built on the idea of abandon.

I used to listen to rock music, in its slightly intellectualised form I guess, things like Talking Heads or Cabaret Voltaire or many others, but I haven't for years. Even in that slightly intellectualised form rock music still has abandon at its core.

This abandon allied to the way rock music is recorded, layered up electronic instruments filling all the sound space, is a dangerous mix. You have this desire to listen to it louder and louder.

With headphones the social constraint preventing you from making a racket is removed so they can enable you to damage your hearing.

Nowadays I don't listen to rock music at all. I love classical and mostly listen to 19th C up to present day, but I also listen to a great deal from the previous centuries.

Listening to this music there is no man inside the head saying "crank it up". It brings on a desire instead to explore. It rewards exploration, and exploration is a quiet activity.

I'm not sure I understand. You're saying that rock music causes people to listen at loud levels just because it's rock music? I listen to about 95% rock and never crank it like you're describing. In fact I listen at very low levels. And it's still satisfying. The only time rock music is loud by, or should be loud, is at shows. But then earplugs are (or should be) utilized and it's perfect.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #24 of 54

Quote:
"What? Eh, what?"

You'll regret it, sooner or later. 
rolleyes.gif

I enjoy rock and metal songs at low volume too, about 55 dB that is.

I think it is hard to enjoy music at low db.  Equal loudness contour really begs my ears for at least 80db give or take.  Rush at 55db?  Not for me.  Music goes from engaging to background, elevator music for me.  I do agree w/ the notion of reckless, fearless abandon in Rock music.  Although I did bring my IEMs to the Uproar Tour yesterday for attenuation when the songs suck.  
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #25 of 54
80dB is probably safe for listening the whole day.
But anyway, I don't find lower volumes less engaging. Since I hate v-shaped FR / sucked out mids equal loudness contours actually improve quite a couple of cans at lower volume levels, imho.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 54

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. You're saying that rock music causes people to listen at loud levels just because it's rock music? I listen to about 95% rock and never crank it like you're describing. In fact I listen at very low levels. And it's still satisfying. The only time rock music is loud by, or should be loud, is at shows. But then earplugs are (or should be) utilized and it's perfect.

Well, no I didn't say that rock music causes people to listen at loud levels 
smile_phones.gif

My posting was not the anti rock one you may have mistaken it for.

I wrote that rock music has, at its core, a sense of abandon. I think abandon is a great thing!

However one problem with abandon is that in some circumstances it can do you damage.

Playing music loudly is an expression of abandon, it is a way of demonstrating to ourselves that we are abandoning concerns.

You write that rock music is played loudly at rock concerts, and having been to many rock concerts in my time I know this very well. But why is rock music played loudly?

I also know very well that dance music is played very loudly at night clubs, I love clubbing but I do wear (very good) earplugs when I go clubbing. But a good question is, why is dance music played loudly?

I think it is about abandon as written in my earlier post.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #28 of 54

Quote:
I'm inclined to light up a cigar, enjoy a big glass of bourbon, then crank the headphones tonight.

Well, first I think I'll take the motorcycle out for a ride and pick up a Double-Double. Animal style, of course.

It's Friday night and I'm not going to live forever. Might as well have some fun.

I am sorry what was that? (with hand cupped behind his ear!!)

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #30 of 54
Haha, make sure you're alone when googling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back