Do headphones amps like (schiit asgard 2) work for speakers?
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

andrewkim9711

New Head-Fier
here is my studio set up:

Desktop computer
Scarlett 6i6
Sennheiser HD 598
KRK Rokit 5 G3

I heard that I can use an audio interface as a DAC, so I'm considering to buy a decent amp for my headphones and speakers.

headphone amps like e18, schii asgard 2 and valhalla 2 only have a 1/4 inch output which I can only connect a headphone.

I want a amp that has output for both speakers ( Left and Right) and headphones.

I know that asgard 2 and other amps from schiit have a left and right rca, but that's to be connected to my audio interface.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Originally Posted by andrewkim9711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[…] I want a amp that has output for both speakers ( Left and Right) and headphones.

The Asgard 2 as well as the Lyr and the second generation Valhalla headphone amps all have RCA outputs on the back plus a headphone jack on the front side. So yes, it is possible to use these amps as headphone amps and as preamps. I use an Asgard 2 on my desktop to connect to my KRK Rokit 5 G2 to comfortably adjust the playback loudness via the Asgard’s volume knob. If a headphone is connected to the Asgard 2, the RCA outputs are muted.

Unfortunately I fear I don’t fully understand the other parts of your question.

Werner.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 6

The Asgard 2 as well as the Lyr and the second generation Valhalla headphone amps all have RCA outputs on the back plus a headphone jack on the front side. So yes, it is possible to use these amps as headphone amps and as preamps. I use an Asgard 2 on my desktop to connect to my KRK Rokit 5 G2 to comfortably adjust the playback loudness via the Asgard’s volume knob. If a headphone is connected to the Asgard 2, the RCA outputs are muted.

Unfortunately I fear I don’t fully understand the other parts of your question.

Werner.

thanks! 

the thing is that I have two KRK Rokit 5 speakers.
asgard 2 has RCA left and right output and input in the back, and I'll connect my audio interface to the input of the asgard. then I have to connect the two speakers to the amp which only has one set of output (rca left and right).
doesn't one speaker use both the left and right jacks?

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 6

No, the right speaker uses the right RCA output, and the left speaker is connected to the left RCA output.

I fear I still don’t fully understand your question, since there simply is no other way to connect a pair of powered KRK Rokit monitors. Each monitor has a single RCA and XLR connection.

Werner.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 6
  thanks! 

the thing is that I have two KRK Rokit 5 speakers.
asgard 2 has RCA left and right output and input in the back, and I'll connect my audio interface to the input of the asgard. then I have to connect the two speakers to the amp which only has one set of output (rca left and right).

In addition to wberghofer posted above, there is only one RCA port on each of those speakers. Each of them is an active monitor, there are just several of each type of input on both. In some cases you might find active monitors, the non-professional grade units, that have only one active speaker while the other speaker is a passive - usually called a "master" and "slave" set-up.  Both inputs go into the Master speaker where the amplifier/s for all channels are, then a cable using regular speaker cables (Audioengine, IIRC) or one terminated with some kind of plug similar to an XLR carrying both the + and - for the tweeter and woofer on the Slave on four conductors twisted into one cable for convenience (as on Swans multimedia speakers).

Another difference between those two types of active monitors is that the pro speakers with one amp in each will also require one power cable into each speaker, and each has an independent gain control knob in the back. A master speaker will have only one volume knob on it and controls all channels on the amp built into it, usually mounted on the front or at worst at the side for convenience. While you can use a separate preamp with both (like the one on the Asgard2), it is much easier to get away without one when using a Master-Slave set-up since there is only one knob, likely withing arm's reach as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back