Do headphone pads have big effects in sound?
Jan 21, 2017 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

IkuMiku96

New Head-Fier
im not sure my type of question so i just asking here.

i just bought AKG K 403, which uses foam type pad (and is kinda course to my ear). i do want to get 3rd party ear pad or something to change the pad to something like 'normal headphones' do (the doughnut style pad style??) and even prefer cloth or velour type than leather (or synthetic). i kinda hate using the foam pad...

curiously, i tried my Philips SHM7110 ear pad, obviously wont fit but barely fits loosely. using them and guess what?
the bass is boosted. AKG K 403 is known for underpowered low frequency but with my Philips ear pad, the sub bass boosts but this also alters mid and high as well (marginally).
*my Philips ear pad is not leather PU type, is more like basic fabric and sponge inside?? (not velour i would say)

back to my question, do ear pad sizes, types and shapes affect sounds?

and also, do you ever experiences alternative ear pads with your headphone?

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 4
back to my question, do ear pad sizes, types and shapes affect sounds?

If the earpad alters the distance from the pad to the ear as well as has a different effective density in terms of how porous it is (ie not just density per se, but if you squished it then that adds to the effect) including the material that covers the pads (leather is more closed than fabric), then yes.

Even worn out, squished earpads vs new ear pads of the same type can sound different.

and also, do you ever experiences alternative ear pads with your headphone?

I'm using Brainwavz HM5 angled earpads on my HD600. Cymbals are moved farther back away from my ears along with a few other instruments (though not as much as the cymbals). 

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 4
thanks~ explains why pushing the cans with hands a bit than leave them alone makes different sound (noticeable with on-ear, not much with over-ear especially open backed)

since most headphone pads are different, if you can answer, what characteristic of pads with their types? (characteristic by sound stage, sound signature, comfortness, etc)(also the form factor, i guess?)

also, im trying to find pads like AKG K430 (assuming K430 pads seem compatible in size with K420, which is identical to K403) but using velour or fabric type instead of leather one. any info about this? (aside of sound difference, i kinda hate the feeling of leather to my ear)

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 4
since most headphone pads are different, if you can answer, what characteristic of pads with their types? (characteristic by sound stage, sound signature, comfortness, etc)(also the form factor, i guess?)

Leather, synthetic or not, seals in sound more especially on circumaurals so you have a tendency to get more bass out of them. Velour over foam tends to be more porous.

Soundstage can be affected by leather if the bass boost is strong enough that it moves the bass instruments forward, like hearing the bass drum towards your forehead if not in it. Otherwise the thickness and stiffness which determine the distance and where applicable, angle (which mimics speaker toe-in) affects imaging more than the materials on the earpads.

Note that there are hybrid HM5 pads that are leather on the outer edges to seal in a bit more bass and blocking out a little bit more ouside noise on closed headphones, but velour on the side against your head to help with comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuMiku96 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

also, im trying to find pads like AKG K430 (assuming K430 pads seem compatible in size with K420, which is identical to K403) but using velour or fabric type instead of leather one. any info about this? (aside of sound difference, i kinda hate the feeling of leather to my ear)

If there is a same chassis or same mounting mechanism on another headphone with a different material, you can try ordering the alternate pads from AKG. Or look for replacements from third party manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back