Do HE-400is have harsh vocals?
Dec 13, 2016 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

troll

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of HE-400i's that I ordered. I'm amazed by the amount of detail I can hear (a lot more than my DT-880s), but I've noticed that there is a sort of harshness to the vocals (and to the treble in general). Is this normal? I'm driving them with the DACPort Slim, so it's possible that I need a better DAC/Amp, but I figured that it's worth asking.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the HE-400 from 2014, though I would say that it is a tad bight, I wouldn't go as far as to say it is harsh. It just performs really well in the higher frequencies in my opinion. The HE-400 treble kind of reminds me of the treble of the LCD-X in a sense but with more air.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 8
  I just got a pair of HE-400i's that I ordered. I'm amazed by the amount of detail I can hear (a lot more than my DT-880s), but I've noticed that there is a sort of harshness to the vocals (and to the treble in general). Is this normal? I'm driving them with the DACPort Slim, so it's possible that I need a better DAC/Amp, but I figured that it's worth asking.

It is normal.  The 400i has some treble issues.  These issues can be alleviated by some very simple mods.  Brainwavz Angled Pleather and Ether C pads both tame the highs.  You can even take it a step further with some dampening in front of the driver.  Some have had success with tearing up cotton balls in half and placing them between the driver and ear pads.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Vocals should be smooth and lifelike. I would try a new DAC/AMP.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 8
Vocals should be smooth and lifelike. I would try a new DAC/AMP.

While a new dac/amp couldn't hurt, the 400i does have some issues in the presence region, which would affect female vocals.  Some like this forward nature, but it can be seen as harsh for others.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 8

Judging by the graph the treble peak isn't that much taller than where it is at 1000hz, and even the HD600 has a taller treble peak than that. However there is a large dip between those two points. If you're hearing harshness it's either due to the relative loudness vs 2000hz, or it's in the recording. Or a little bit of both.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Judging by the graph the treble peak isn't that much taller than where it is at 1000hz, and even the HD600 has a taller treble peak than that. However there is a large dip between those two points. If you're hearing harshness it's either due to the relative loudness vs 2000hz, or it's in the recording. Or a little bit of both.

The small peak at 3-4k then again at 8-9k can definitely lead to some sibilance. This is probably what the OP is hearing. I never had a problem with the 3-4k peak, but I had to EQ the 8-9k peak out. Easy to fix with mods though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back