do Grado's mate well with HeadRoom headphone amplifiers?
Dec 9, 2007 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

noseallinit

500+ Head-Fier
just came across another thread that disturbed me and I want to get the answer straight from the horses mouth.

do Grado's mate well with HeadRoom amps?

since just before I purchased me MicroAmp w/ 2006 Desktop Module and MicroDAC I had heard HeadRoom prefers Sennheiser and that they tweak their amps to sound best with them. that HeadRoom didn't care for Grado's and that Grado's are not a good match with HeadRoom amps.

truth is every model of Grado are sold by HeadRoom and a long running Packaged System was the MicroAmp and SR-60's(which is ranked high by HR). I thought the reason why the RS-1's got ranked lower is because HeadRoom preferred a couple of other headphones that sold for less. not that there was some kind of hate relationship going on.

now I cannot remember what was exactly said but this was a concern of mine when purchasing the MicroStack. all I remember is that Mike told me he preferred the AKG 701's. I do not ever remember him speaking that Grado's would sound bad with HeadRoom amps but that I would also benefit with a better set of headphones. at the time all I had was the SR-80's and I felt the MicroStack did wonders for them. not much longer and just before purchasing the 225's I had a chance to use the HD-595's for awhile. even though the HD-595's grew on me I still preferred the SR-80's from right off the bat. I think I just dig on the Grado sound but I do need to experience AKG and Beyer. now I own the RS-1's and not that a better amp would bring out the best in them, I think they sound great with the MicroStack.

now I am looking to upgrade from me 2006 MicroStack. amps that I see recommended for RS-1's are Tube amps but the amps I see that I like are Solid State. amps I am specifically interested in the most just happen to be HeadRoom products. the Desktop SE and Balanced Desktop plus the 2007 Ultra MicroAmp and DAC(and for various reasons pulling towards the most right now). possibly even the standard 2007 MicroAmp and DAC. maybe even the Millet Hybrid.

I'm looking to get a jump above the 2006 MicroStack. maybe I would like a just bit more of that warm syrupy sound that a tube amp may offer. does HeadRoom have a preference with the RS-1's and any of these amps I have mentioned? more than one preference? I do not see how I could go wrong with any of them but I would like a good jump and possibly one with best sound for the RS-1's.

one reason the Ultra MicroAmp sounds good to me is that I can more easily acquire it first and use it with me 2006 MicroDAC until I can afford the 2007 Ultra MicroDAC. I assume it would be a better upgrade to get the Ultra Amp before the Ultra DAC. maybe even the standard MicroDAC would be plenty. I will be using with me Rev A iMac G5 and possibly a better transport later on.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 12
I've used everything from the 80s to the 1000 with different headroom amps, ranging from bitheads to maxed out home, and, to my tired old ears, the grados really sounded great.

Personally, I prefer the grados with my tube amps, and my 650s with SS amps, but that's just me.

I wouldn't worry.

Hope that helps.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 12
The current lineup of Headroom Modules in their higher end amps (Desktop, Home, MAX) all use a Jung-designed discrete diamond buffer on the output. As far as solid state devises go this circuit is well suited to your Grados in its ability to provide plenty of current which is what the low-ohm Grados crave. And based on what I've heard of Headroom's lineup I bet any one of them would pair quite nicely with Grado cans. If I were you I'd shoot for an amp with at least the Home module in it.

Finally, as far as the whole Grado/tube synergy is concerned I've heard my modified HF-1s out of a good deal of both SS and tube amps and my favorite was a SS amp.

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 12
thank you!

I realize people can have preference but to hear people say that HeadRoom amps do not pair well with Grado's just rubs on me wrong. every Grado I have owned has benefited from me MicroStack and I am really enjoying the RS-1's with the stack after moving up the Grado line. I'd like to hear a tube amp with them but I dunno if I will ever make that move.

now it's time for me to move up the HeadRoom line. unfortunate for me do to some sqaubbling at work it looks like the wealth of overtime I was getting has come to a hault through the first few months of the year. it should have lasted through the holidays for I was hoping to make this move a little sooner. in time..

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 12
The scuttlebutt about HeadRoom not pairing well with Grados has a nugget of truth to it ... but just a nugget. WHich is, I just don't like the Grado sound very much. And that's about it.

Our amps are not "tweaked" with any headphone in mind, we're basically objectivists when we come out with amps. Our fundimental perspective is that a low output impedance (and amp with cajones) and low distortion will drive
any headphone well.

Nothing wrong with the Millett for Grados, but the tubes are in the middle of the circuit and the output is the same fundamentally as the rest of the amps. So, there's noting special about the Millett relative to our other amps re the Grados.

The Grado synergy with tube amps is an interesting debate, but fundimentally, the Grados have such a low impedance that it really makes the amp work for it. As a result, the amps will be showing relatively higher distortion with Grados compared to more high-impedance cans, so you get more "color" with Grados on a tube amp than with other cans. Because of this, I'd assume that Grados are technically better off on a SS amp than tubes.

Meh. I just kinda don't like them either way but YMMV.

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 12
what, ya don't like Grado's? q:O)>

thank you Tyll! for helping to clear this up for me. all I can say is I am really diggin on what the MicroStack is doing for me Grado's and especially the RS-1's. I'm hearing me ding dang weirdo music like I have never heard it before and I cannot wait to find out what some of the other HeadRoom amps I drool over will do for it.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 12
I've used the MicroStack with 80's, 225's, and RS-1's. The MicroDAC is simply wonderful regardless of amp, but the MicroAMP (2006 w/ Desktop module) is forward sounding to me. I've heard a handful of other amps that were a better match, making the MicroAMP one of my least liked amps with the Grado's.

Hopefully I can audition some higher tier Headroom amps in the future so I can evaluate the sonic signatures. However, unless you like your Grado's very forward sounding, I don't think the MicroAMP is the best option. It's easily the most forward sounding amp I've ever used with Grado's. I do believe my SR225's are the limit on how bright I like my music, and the RS-1's sound out of control to my ears. So I'm only speaking for my experiences.

As for that MicroDAC, I love the unit to death. I may grab the Ultra down the line. Most excellent work on the DAC!

Edit:

The MicroAMP did excellent with my DT880's. DT770's, HD600's, K701's, and a bunch of other headphones all sounded great too. Only my love for SR225's drove me to other amplification (which ended up costing me my MicroDAC too
frown.gif
). The last thing to consider is I have been comparing the 06 MicroAMP to non-portable home amplification.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard a handful of other amps that were a better match, making the MicroAMP one of my least liked amps with the Grado's.

Thanks for your candor and comments, Redo. Glad you found a mate for your 225s. Whadja get?

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I've used the MicroStack with 80's, 225's, and RS-1's. The MicroDAC is simply wonderful regardless of amp, but the MicroAMP (2006 w/ Desktop module) is forward sounding to me. I've heard a handful of other amps that were a better match, making the MicroAMP one of my least liked amps with the Grado's.

Hopefully I can audition some higher tier Headroom amps in the future so I can evaluate the sonic signatures. However, unless you like your Grado's very forward sounding, I don't think the MicroAMP is the best option. It's easily the most forward sounding amp I've ever used with Grado's. I do believe my SR225's are the limit on how bright I like my music, and the RS-1's sound out of control to my ears. So I'm only speaking for my experiences.

As for that MicroDAC, I love the unit to death. I may grab the Ultra down the line. Most excellent work on the DAC!

Edit:

The MicroAMP did excellent with my DT880's. DT770's, HD600's, K701's, and a bunch of other headphones all sounded great too. Only my love for SR225's drove me to other amplification (which ended up costing me my MicroDAC too
frown.gif
). The last thing to consider is I have been comparing the 06 MicroAMP to non-portable home amplification.

what type of music and who are some of the bands you listen to?

those are the exact three Grado's I have had the pleasure of knowing. the SR80's, SR225's and RS1's.

I do like the intensity of Grado's! although I do not hear the RS1's as being brighter than the SR225's, I do feel the MicroAmp has toned down that sharp brightness I experienced with the SR80's straight out of me iMac. the MicroStack did wonders for the SR80's and with each step of the Grado's my sound quality has improved. although once I got the DAC a bit of that edge came back or rather is it the sound is just a bit more sterile. for the first time I used the EQ in iTunes since I had gotten the MicroDAC but what I gained with the DAC was well worth it. with the RS1's I can tolerate the volume just a bit louder and they seem to have more intensity of detail coming at me with many recordings. some songs do seem a bit fast but with most of me music I am just tripping out on what I have missed with me speaker systems. midtones can seem a bit off sometimes.

I wish I had more experience with other amps with me Grado's not to mention AKG's and Beyer's. maybe even a higher end Senn than the HD595's I experienced for a short time.

so what other solid state amps did you prefer using with the MicroDAC over the MicroAmp with your Grado's? any tubes?

I see you settled down with the Eddie Current. how are you enjoying it over the MicroStack? it's such a good looking amp! I had forgotten all about it until last night when a bud reminded me of it.

me bud has been searching out amps that people prefer with their Grado's and RS1's. he really wants to go with a tube amp and the Ultra MicroDAC. currently he is using a Gilmore Lite w/ DPS and Lambada???(not Stax) plus his 06' MicroDAC with his SR225's and MS2's.

did you get rid of the RS1's altogether?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just don't like the Grado sound very much. And that's about it.

which headphones do you enjoy the most and with which setup?

which of your amps, including the new releases, up through the Desktop line do you think you would enjoy most with Grado's? or is there a particular HeadRoom Employee that likes Grado's that has a favorite HeadRoom amp that they enjoy with them the most?

thanks!

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your candor and comments, Redo. Glad you found a mate for your 225s. Whadja get?

Eddie Current EC/SS. It's an odd find in the solid state world, but it matches Grado's very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what type of music and who are some of the bands you listen to?

Classic Rock, Blues, Psychedelic Rock, Instrumental Rock, all that sort of stuff. The heavy hitters of my listening is groups such as Beatles, Grateful Dead, Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd, etc and etc.

Quote:

I do like the intensity of Grado's! although I do not hear the RS1's as being brighter than the SR225's, I do feel the MicroAmp has toned down that sharp brightness I experienced with the SR80's straight out of me iMac.

I love the intensity too, but there's only so far it can be pushed. To my ears, RS-1's are unbearably bright. I may have sensitive ears in the upper midrange, because those who loved the SR225's seem to love the RS-1's even more.

Quote:

so what other solid state amps did you prefer using with the MicroDAC over the MicroAmp with your Grado's? any tubes?

Tube amps were Zana Deux, a custom built Millet, and a Raptor. SS amps were a MisterX XP (or something along those lines, I forgot I had tried one), EC/SS, Original Audio Master, and my various home receivers.

Tube amps are on odd creature. The Zana Deux was one of the best amps I've ever heard. It requires a hefty source, but I absolutely loved it. So expensive
frown.gif
, but it changes the sound so much. I didn't like the Millet at all, thick and syrupy. The Raptor was a fun amp too, with a completely different signature.

I would like to be able to get into tube amps, but it's a whole new playing field when you make the switch. Tube rolling, source synergy, and headphone synergy all make it a very expensive switch.

Quote:

I see you settled down with the Eddie Current. how are you enjoying it over the MicroStack? it's such a good looking amp! I had forgotten all about it until last night when a bud reminded me of it.

me bud has been searching out amps that people prefer with their Grado's and RS1's. he really wants to go with a tube amp and the Ultra MicroDAC. currently he is using a Gilmore Lite w/ DPS and Lambada???(not Stax) plus his 06' MicroDAC with his SR225's and MS2's.

did you get rid of the RS1's altogether?

The Eddie Current EC/SS is lovely. Powerful bottom, thick mids, a bit warm on the upper mids, yet the treble comes back and extends to the stars.

Maple Tree HD+ Purist seems to be the most recommended tube amp for RS-1's. I would start looking there.

The RS-1's, I took a few good listening periods, and used it to realize my ears would not be kind to me if I kept listening.

Dec 17, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Eddie Current EC/SS. It's an odd find in the solid state world, but it matches Grado's very well.

Classic Rock, Blues, Psychedelic Rock, Instrumental Rock, all that sort of stuff. The heavy hitters of my listening is groups such as Beatles, Grateful Dead, Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd, etc and etc.

I love the intensity too, but there's only so far it can be pushed. To my ears, RS-1's are unbearably bright. I may have sensitive ears in the upper midrange, because those who loved the SR225's seem to love the RS-1's even more.

Tube amps were Zana Deux, a custom built Millet, and a Raptor. SS amps were a MisterX XP (or something along those lines, I forgot I had tried one), EC/SS, Original Audio Master, and my various home receivers.

Tube amps are on odd creature. The Zana Deux was one of the best amps I've ever heard. It requires a hefty source, but I absolutely loved it. So expensive
frown.gif
, but it changes the sound so much. I didn't like the Millet at all, thick and syrupy. The Raptor was a fun amp too, with a completely different signature.

I would like to be able to get into tube amps, but it's a whole new playing field when you make the switch. Tube rolling, source synergy, and headphone synergy all make it a very expensive switch.

The Eddie Current EC/SS is lovely. Powerful bottom, thick mids, a bit warm on the upper mids, yet the treble comes back and extends to the stars.

Maple Tree HD+ Purist seems to be the most recommended tube amp for RS-1's. I would start looking there.

The RS-1's, I took a few good listening periods, and used it to realize my ears would not be kind to me if I kept listening.

I'd really like to hear the Eddie Current. me bud would like to get this amp before it's gone. I think he said they are in the process of updating the amp. I reckon there are a few amps I'd like to check out with the EC being one but it's HR features on their amps that keep me looking to them. with what they have done to the new Micro line it looks like HR products are just gonna get better. I cannot wait till they get around to revising the SE Desktop do to some of the things Tyll has spoken of.

not sure I wanna go with tubes for I think solid state interest me the most. until hearing me bud talk about them all the time and some of the threads I come across I was not even interested in them before. now I would just like to hear for meself. not being experienced with other amps I thought HR used some of the warmer sounding op amps.

the RS-1 do seem pretty intense with detail over the 225's. I feel like I got a lot more coming at me and it may be fatiguing me ears a bit. some recordings sound quite different to me. I have also been listening to a bit higher volume. I am enjoying them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back