Do Expensive Cables make a difference or is it just Snakeoil.......
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #121 of 131
^  I have a feeling that guy used a little bit more than just audiophile cables.  

Question:

If you upgrade your headphones cables, do you also need to upgrade the rest of your cables (cables connecting PC, DAC, amp, etc.), or is it mostly the headphone cables that make the biggest difference?  

Of course you need to have everything upgraded. Remember the saying that your audio system is only as good as its weakest link? Choosing only to upgrade headphone cables while neglecting to upgrade the remaining cables in other equipment is akin to changing one tyre on a car when all four are bald. Sometimes it may be difficult to upgrade the internal cables of say a dac or amp, so odds are that you're better off getting new gear that comes equipped with the upgrade cable of your choice.

Another aspect that is often overlooked is the power cord. Keep in mind that it is pointless if your system is fed dirty AC power. Again using a car analogy, it is no different from using cheap RON95 fuel with a high end super car when much better racing fuel is available. I strongly recommend the $6000 power cord from Audioquest. While it is expensive, it's able to bring out the absolute best in your set up.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #122 of 131
Quote:
Of course you need to have everything upgraded. Remember the saying that your audio system is only as good as its weakest link? Choosing only to upgrade headphone cables while neglecting to upgrade the remaining cables in other equipment is akin to changing one tyre on a car when all four are bald. Sometimes it may be difficult to upgrade the internal cables of say a dac or amp, so odds are that you're better off getting new gear that comes equipped with the upgrade cable of your choice.

Another aspect that is often overlooked is the power cord. Keep in mind that it is pointless if your system is fed dirty AC power. Again using a car analogy, it is no different from using cheap RON95 fuel with a high end super car when much better racing fuel is available. I strongly recommend the $6000 power cord from Audioquest. While it is expensive, it's able to bring out the absolute best in your set up.

Hahaha Greenleaf7, I am amazed by your vast knowledge of ridiculous audiophoolery gear! But, I think the guy is being serious in his questions lol

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #123 of 131
Hasn't anyone told him he doesn't need to upgrade any of his cables yet?

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #124 of 131
Quote:
Hasn't anyone told him he doesn't need to upgrade any of his cables yet?

Head-Fi Blasphemy!!! 
size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #125 of 131
Quote:
I strongly recommend the $6000 power cord from Audioquest. While it is expensive, it's able to bring out the absolute best in your set up.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.  The $6k version is complete crap.  I use to have it.  

Now the $10k version, much better and makes your headphones at least 2x better...

But I digress...

I'm playing devil's advocate here.

I just want to hear from someone who actually thinks cables make a difference, not some kid who spends her spare time trolling forums and writing Harry Potter fan-fiction.   

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #126 of 131
Quote:

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.  The $6k version is complete crap.  I use to have it.  

Now the $10k version, much better and makes your headphones at least 2x better...

But I digress...

I just want to hear from someone who actually thinks cables make a difference, not some kid who spends her spare time trolling forums and writing Harry Potter fan-fiction (lol).   

Tell you what, I'm getting my jh16's in 2 days.  I have a chris himself 24 awg occ silver cable just waiting for it.  I also have a silver plated copper occ LOD cable coming in 2 weeks ordered from the other side of the world.  I planned on enjoying the jh16's for a few days, then switching cables to see if they actually make a difference.  I'll have my brother swap them and stuff while my eyes are closed too, for a blind test. 

I don't know if i'll pass the test, but I did pass the fiio E11 vs JDS labs C5 test.  (the brighness, clarity and theater bass was easily distinguishable)

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #127 of 131
Quote:
Tell you what, I'm getting my jh16's in 2 days.  I have a chris himself 24 awg occ silver cable just waiting for it.  I also have a silver plated copper occ LOD cable coming in 2 weeks ordered from the other side of the world.  I planned on enjoying the jh16's for a few days, then switching cables to see if they actually make a difference.  I'll have my brother swap them and stuff while my eyes are closed too, for a blind test. 

I don't know if i'll pass the test, but I passed the fiio E11 vs JDS labs C5 test.

Awesome, can't wait to hear your impressions.   
size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #128 of 131
Quote:

But I digress...

I just want to hear from someone who actually thinks cables make a difference, not some kid who spends her spare time trolling forums and writing Harry Potter fan-fiction (lol).   

If you wish to hear from someone that believes cables make a difference, I'm just the right person to talk to. I had just upgraded all my cables and the improvement in sound was  massive. For starters, there was better treble extension. The mids were much smoother and the bass was tighter with significantly improved punch and body. The sound of my music was fuller and the background was now a lot blacker. I could not only discern the greater resolution to detail, but I started to hear air in between the strings. I felt the veil was completely lifted! Overall, the music was felt a lot more balanced and the improvement in musicality was absolutely staggering. Hope that helped!

EDIT: the soundstage was much wider and more 3 dimensional than ever!

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #129 of 131
Not sure if trolling haha.  That sounds way too hyped, and alot more than what I realistically expect from swapping to 'higher quality' cables.

Probably trolling, because of avatar. 
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #130 of 131
A number of years ago, probably before some of you were born, a speaker company came to give a seminar at one of our local audio shops. The company, NHT (Now Hear This) was auditioning
it's flagship speaker and set up a listening room for a limited number of people who registered. They also offered what they called "The Ten Thousand Dollar Challenge" to anyone who could pick out lamp wire from 100 dollar a foot speaker cable. All sorts of audio geeks showed up, some with these weird little cardboard ear extenders (for lack of a better term). Not ONE was able to discern the expensive cable from the lamp wire more than 50% of the time.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #131 of 131
Hearing that NHT story, which is probably true, I will totally pretend it never existed, and will continue down the spiraling path of financial destruction chasing those audio fantasies, fairy tales, and hype hoping that I will be the 1st to reach sonic nirvana.

THAT my friends, is what it means to be a true audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back