Do Etymotic ER4'S last forever? Maybe!
Nov 1, 2001 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Daniel Pumphrey

100+ Head-Fier
I worked on someone's recent ER4'S phones and noticed the serial numbers were much higher than my first set.
I've had the ER4 phones for years since shortly after they were made available. The serial numbers of the drivers are ; 2466 and 2486.
The recent set I saw were; 15,927 and 16,012. My others are about halfway inbetween. There are a LOT of numbers between these two, so I was thinking we should do a registry of serial numbers for owners here.
A while back when talking to Don he said he would check the specs on my set and came back with the response sheets for these right away. It is impressive that this company has and keeps spec sheets for each set. How many other headphone companies can say the same? I don't think a single one.
This set of phones has performed perfectly for years and I could not begin to calculate how many hours. Amazing when other phones bite the dust, the Etymotic ER-4 keeps on ticking.
Dan

Nov 1, 2001 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

It is impressive that this company has and keeps spec sheets for each set. How many other headphone companies can say the same? I don't think a single one.

That is VERY, VERY cool to know, and is indeed extremely impressive. I'll go check out my 4S and see what numbers are on it.

Nov 2, 2001 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 41
24019 and 24055.

Nov 2, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 41
Mine is 16012 & 15927.

Nov 2, 2001 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 41
If it wasn't for you people I wouldn't have to remove my Ety's from my ears right now (but then again, I wouldn't have KNOWN about them if it wasn't for the folks at Headwize and Headfi =)

24584 and 24594

My 4P's are about 3-4 months old.

Nov 2, 2001 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 41
Ha ha! I beat you all
smily_headphones1.gif

24612, 24602

got it 2 months ago I think

Nov 2, 2001 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 41
That can't be all the Etymotic owners here. I'll do a post at Headwise too. Then I will generate a list of owners and serial numbers and maybe we can post them somewhere maybe my website when I add another page to it.
Maybe we should start an official "Team Etymotic". I want a Tee Shirt! Don can be president. How many other teams have the designer as the President too? Watch out "Team Grado and Team AKG".
Every time I build an amp, I test it with Grados just in case it decides to blow phones, then AKG 501 to check output, then I settle in for extended listening with the ER4. Do you think mine are burned in yet? I'm waiting to see a set older than my first too.
Dan

Nov 2, 2001 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 41
21361 and 21313

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 41
We haven't sold quite that many, although the volume has increased over the last few years.

We have some stock cases left over from when we switched plastic in the case. The ER-4 package is also usefull for us for other research projects, so some serial numbers are used for those.

There are failures at final testing, most of which are probably inaudible, but we don't sell b-stock. We do have a great employee discount program
smily_headphones1.gif

When we get repairs , we check the units against the original curves and they are amazingly similiar, except for damaged units of course. When replacing a transducer we match a new transducer with the other one and keep all of the curves in the file.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Oops! I almost forgot I think we started at 1000

Nov 2, 2001 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 41
Man, does anyone put as much care into their products as Etymotics? Simply amazing, IMO.

P.S. 23249, 24756 (but that's my newest pair; wish I had the #s from my first pair, which were at least 5 years old).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back