Do EQ preset names make any sense to you?
Feb 16, 2010 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

roskit

New Head-Fier
I've always wondered where the names "ROCK", "JAZZ", "CLASSICAL" in the presets come from? I think we all know equalization has more to do with personal taste, hardware compensation etc... then who decided one day that for a rock song I would need that rock eq??
triportsad.gif

Any thought...?

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Good question. They don't even seem to line up with what my perception would be. It's been a long time, but I think the last time I checked the EQ settings in itunes, the treble was backed way off, mids were fairly middle of the road and bass was boosted high. But my interpretation of "rock" would have the treble settings high for very crisp hard hitting cymbals. There were others that seems really off to me also, but it's been too long to recall exactly what they were.

That might be one of the reasons so many people for so many years have begged Apple to do a firmware update and add a customizable EQ.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 7
I've never understood those presets as well, and for the same reasons. I mean... if you have your EQ flat, then won't rock sound like rock, jazz like jazz, etc? Who is to say it can somehow sound like it was recorded wrong for the genre until you apply the EQ? /sigh

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Probably because they... help that genre the "best"? Or actually they just did tests with random people and asked how that helped. I personally used rock with most of my music due to the increased treble and slight increase in bass.

I don't use iPods anymore but I liked it. I have to admit though some of them are stupid :/

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your answers!
It might be that those presets try to emphasize what's important to the listener of that given genre. For "Techno", it seems to be all about bass to the point of making your ears fall off
L3000.gif

But still...
"Rock" is probably popular because it adds what you need to have the correct balance at reasonable levels: more bass, more treble. But then it's more a "loudness" button than anything else, no? And that works also for any kind of music! The other ones seem much more random to me.
Anyone here using regularly the same preset on different devices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back