Do digital interconnects make a differnce?
Jan 8, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
I know analog interconnects do, but how about spdif transports? Will going from radioshack to a higher quality DIY, or higher end monster do anything? reduced jitter etc?

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 22
Supposedly.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 22
This thread will open another can of worms.

In my personal experience, I have heard differences in S/PDIF cables, AES/EBU cables, and I2S cables. There may be some measured jitter charts available somewhere. Some cables will be made with impedances closer to the spec assigned (there are tolerances allowed for within a range.) Construction, dielectric, and shielding will make a difference as well.

I quite like the Illuminati/Illuminations D-60 S/PDIF and Orchid AES/EBU digital cables, but they're prohibitively expensive for most people. A nice budget cable that will get you 80-90% of the performance is the Apogee Wyde-Eye. The sound is a little grainier in the upper regions as compared to the previously mentioned cables, but for the price, very hard to beat. Unless you're looking for nth degree performance, you probably wouldn't need anything more than the Apogee.

Listen for yourself and decide. Your ears are the only ones that matter in a situation like this. There will always be cable agnostics and cable believers and I doubt the twain shall meet.

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 22
it makes a difference in terms of jitter. not sure about the differences from glass and a well built one however.

I believe glass will help improve the stregnth of the light passing through.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 22
I think the basic technical specs you should look for are 75 Ohm tip to tip (i.e. including connectors and how they are soldered or crimped onto the actual conductor) and full shielding (I think it's usually one braid and one foil to filter out as much emi and rfi as possible).

Outlaw Audio makes one that looks good, as does BlueJeansCabes.com:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...udio/index.htm

If you're willing to spend a little more, the Stereovox HDXV (MSRP $100) is also supposed to be excellent.

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 22
My source has no optical out so glass is not an option. Im currently using Radio Shack PCM digital coax 75 ohm. I was thinking of ugprading to this one (http://signalcable.com/digitalcoax.html) but im not sure if it's a worthwhile upgrade over the radioshack.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 22
I'd try the bluejeans ones also. I wouldn't spend to much because you're source as a transport is also a bottleneck.

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 22
I went to bestbuy today to try and find a product lablled as impedance matched 75 ohm, and found one such product, a monster 400 spdif cable for 50 bucks. I briefly considered it but then pondered all the wonderful things people say about monster here on headfi and recoiled. I've now purchased a blue jeans cable that is 75 ohm tip to tip and the total shipped was 19.75 I have no doubt it will be just as good as the 50$ monster.

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
I went to bestbuy today to try and find a product lablled as impedance matched 75 ohm, and found one such product, a monster 400 spdif cable for 50 bucks. I briefly considered it but then pondered all the wonderful things people say about monster here on headfi and recoiled. I've now purchased a blue jeans cable that is 75 ohm tip to tip and the total shipped was 19.75 I have no doubt it will be just as good as the 50$ monster.

The thing that I don't like about Monster is that the high price is not made up by attractive design. They have probably the ugliest RCA connectors ever made.
tongue.gif

OTOH, I'm a big fan of QED cables and their design, even though I'll probably go DIY for my next round of cable shopping.

/JF

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 22
My gear is not high end (Yamaha 430 receiver, Acoustic Solutions DVD, Yamaha NSP100 speakers). I have been using a crappy audio cable that came with some bit of kit as my digital link. I don't think I've ever heard an audio glitch from it. In fact it sounds fine to my ears. Maybe any distortion is not hidden by the low end equipment. I'll save my money for better speakers for now.

I'd love to try a 'decent' cable to see if there is a difference. Actually, I have a cheap optical that I use for the PVR. I could try switching that over to the DVD when I get a chance.

Of course you could always use a coathanger

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=157357

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 22
eh? Are you trying to argue the merits of cables? im not understanding the point of your post. You wouldent hear "glitches" unless you where getting interferance, the point of quality cables is better sound, not to fix glitches, which are normally more serious then a cable can fix anyways. The blue jeans cables are about the same price as most "cheap" cables at electronics stores, but outperform them by a mile.

Jan 11, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm just a little sceptical of the very expensive digital cables you can buy. As long as the bits all get to the other end they could be interpretted correctly. Just look at the cables we use for 100Mb networks. Very cheap and handling much higher bit rates over much longer distances than audio systems and not resulting in corrupt data.

I'll admit that I don't know the technicalities of digital audio connections, e.g. error correction, synchronisation etc, but just because the bits are carrying music does not make them 'special'.

The Blue Jeans cables are reasonably priced, but some are insane

worth it's weight in gold?

I'd love the opportunity to try and hear the difference these things are supposed to make, but don't know anyone mad enough to spend that much money. If someone want to lend me some cables to try out I'll give them a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back