Do Darth Beyers Change with "Burn-in" POLL!
May 3, 2007 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

trose49

Banned
Just listening to some SRV on the new Darths and they sound great! Just curious if anyone has experienced and significant changes and how many hours it takes to fully "Burn-In"

Take the Poll and please leave and helpful comments of what you have noticed or not!

Thanks

scaledphpserver263filengw2.jpg

May 3, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 17
Mine have changed slightly in the sound. Just seem to be more "even" but that probably has alot to do with the headband adjusting to my big head haha.

I think mine were pretty much as burned in as they probably could be. They might have changed some slightly since I probably do more listening at one time then the previous owner did. Not sure though.

May 3, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine have changed slightly in the sound. Just seem to be more "even" but that probably has alot to do with the headband adjusting to my big head haha.

I think mine were pretty much as burned in as they probably could be. They might have changed some slightly since I probably do more listening at one time then the previous owner did. Not sure though.

How many hours would you say?

May 3, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 17
Since I got them which was Wed. of last week I myself have probably put about 30 hours on them at most. They seem to have just sort of become more detailed. That might have alot more to do with me and my hearing and my becoming "adjusted" to them.

I am not sure how many hours Xiode had on them but it can't be a huge amount. The headphones look pretty much brand new. I am actually listening to them right now.

The one thing I will say that I DON'T like about the Darth's is how they make alot of the music I listen to on my Ipod and my Macbook sound bad. I plan on buying a Presonus CS and then a Opera after that to give them both a "test" to hopefully remedy the SQ situation.

When I listen to CD's on my Denon 1600 or DVD-A discs and run my Darth's from the 1/4" out to the MisterX and then to my Darth's I must say that I am very very impressed and quite in love with their sound.

May 3, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 17
They need clean juice to shine. I am surprized that at 80ohms they need so much to drive them. When I had HD600's at 300ohms they seemed easier to drive then the Darths.

I am using them wth a Ray Samules HR-2 and it's like that amp was made for the Darths (even though I know it wasnt).

Very good synergy with the combo!

May 3, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 17
I bought my 770/80 Pro and then soon after I shipped them to Larry. From what I remember there was a change after a couple days of heavy use. Before sending them off I let them burn in for about 10 days just for good measure.

When they came back they sounded much better of course.
icon10.gif

I feel that all full size cans benefit from a minimum of 20 hours. More never hurts.

I also agree that they need more power than one might think based on the fact that they're 80 Ohms. From my experience with them, a PA2v2 can't drive them very well for example. Comparing the PA2v2 to my Micro Amp, there was a substantial improvement in both bass quality and quantity and also maximum loudness.

Since they do have big bass they need big, clean power I feel...like a loudspeaker needs a competent amp for good control.

May 3, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since they do have big bass they need big, clean power I feel...like a loudspeaker needs a competent amp for good control.

Exactly what I meant

Even my Hornet on high gain did not have the same control and was a bit "warm" for my taste.
eek.gif

The Hornet can almost control them but the Darths can act like they are caged animal that is aggravated and wants to escape. lol!

The HR-2 can take charge of the Darths and snaps them "in-line".
blink.gif

Very balanced and smooth sounding! Bass is tight and clean vs slightly bloaded and not as well defined.

May 3, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 17
A hornet cant do it justice??.....im planning to use it with a supermicro IV from what iv heard they can drive demanding cans, what about the Darths?

May 3, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A hornet cant do it justice??.....im planning to use it with a supermicro IV from what iv heard they can drive demanding cans, what about the Darths?

Yes. At first listen (24hr) mids still sounded somewhat recessed; post 100hrs everything improved, substantially (especially the mids), so much that I preferred the Darth's to my HD 650s on most occassions.

May 3, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 17
ALL the Beyers I've owned have benefitted from at least 50 hours of burn-in -- some much more than others -- sometimes still improving at 100 hours of burn-in.

May 3, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dont get me wrong I am the biggest Hornet Fan on the planet!!
cool.gif

I just dont like the match with the Open Darths as much as I like it with the HR-2.

Keep in mind at twice the price one would expect twice the performance!

May 3, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 17
The Hornet does very well with darths. the xin amp will too I imagine so no worries. Just like most headphones, darths do improve slightly with time in a new setup. they have to adjust a bit to you and your amp/source even if they are already "broken in".

any amp that I have tried from Ray, Meier or MisterX has done quite well. the iMod was also an excellent source for them.

May 3, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hornet does very well with darths. the xin amp will too I imagine so no worries. Just like most headphones, darths do improve slightly with time in a new setup. they have to adjust a bit to you and your amp/source even if they are already "broken in".

any amp that I have tried from Ray, Meier or MisterX has done quite well. the iMod was also an excellent source for them.

I noticed a big improvment going to the HR-2 is all I was saying. I would never say a bad thing about any RSA product I have tried.

I just thought the Hornet was too warm for my taste with my Open Darths.

Not sure about closed never tried them!

May 3, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Yeah bro but you must also consider your source right? Now the Hornet with an iMod cleans up quite a bit. I also tried it with a Zhalou pretty much stock and that was good too. I ran with medium gain which is technically the correct way. However, whatever sounds good to you. The Darths are warm cans and do better with colder SS amps true BUT if you have a Hornet the sound is still pretty darn good. Of course the HR-2 is better Trose I am simply saying that the Hornet and Xin will probably be plenty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back