Do DACs matter?
Sep 22, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #106 of 124
Honstely i'm since 6 years in this hobby and i still don't know if dacs really make a difference or if its just bias.
Not optimal scenario but give it a shot.

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #107 of 124
Honstely i'm since 6 years in this hobby and i still don't know if dacs really make a difference or if its just bias.
Six years and your system still didn't reach sufficient level of transparency or you only listen to a junk music (poor recording, loudness war mastering, EDM).

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #110 of 124
Everything matters

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #111 of 124
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #112 of 124
I purchased a topping d70s (akm dac) and put it up against my smsl-su9 dac (saber).

There is a definitive difference. I greatly prefer the AKM dac. The su-9 had sharp highs that hurt my ears and the topping is much more balanced across the spectrum.
Another topping D70S user. Topping should have renamed themselves and released these products at a higher price range in a fancy case. They would have absolutely smashed it. The negative reviews they seem to be getting is mostly because of the earlier reputation of making cheap hifi from China. The D70S is phenomenal especially in it’s price class.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #113 of 124
The negative reviews they seem to be getting is mostly because of the earlier reputation of making cheap hifi from China.
Not really. I wasted $130 on Topping D30, a Realtek codec chip in a Sony vaio laptop sounds better.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #114 of 124
Um, this has been done thousands of times...

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/new-schiit-yggdrasil-blind-listening-comparison-r1045/
https://audio-head.com/review-schiit-yggdrasil-og-vs-less-is-more-vs-more-is-less/

Here are two recent double blind ABX tests of the 3 Schiit Yggy Models by audio reviewers.

I have also done double blind ABX tests of DACs and its very easy to tell the difference between DACs. I would assume the rest of your gear would need to be good enough to help discern the differences, but also not really... it is pretty obvious for the most part.

And its up to you to decide if its worth it for you to buy a DAC or not, but there is no denying that DACs use different technologies, measure differently, and sound different.
Thank-you!

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #115 of 124
Oct 22, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #116 of 124
i mean if you can't hear the difference, great for you! means you don't have to spend so much money :D
but for most of us, i think it's pretty clear that a DAC matters.

tbh, im mostly a DAP guy, but changing my broken transport to a cheap cambridge audio dacmagic 100 and then to a more respectable audiolab 8200cd on my home system (an old conrad johnson preamp + amp; thiel speakers) was night and day every step.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #117 of 124
Oct 24, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #118 of 124
I purchased a topping d70s (akm dac) and put it up against my smsl-su9 dac (saber).

There is a definitive difference. I greatly prefer the AKM dac. The su-9 had sharp highs that hurt my ears and the topping is much more balanced across the spectrum.
I have found that configuring the DAC driver has greater impact than the differences among DACs and even then, the differences aren't night and day. Changing the headphones has by far greater impact than fiddling with the electronic components.

Oct 24, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #120 of 124
Certainly, the exchange of headphones or speakers has a considerable difference, in the same way this can occur by exchanging electronic components, but the difference can be large or nil depending on the item exchanged.
At this point in time, the differences in electronic components that are properly designed, with a flat response curve and low distortion aren't large. That of course excludes tubes, amps, which aren't designed to handle particular headphones, etc.

If you're running your music off the computer, your hardware is only as good as your driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back