Do credit card paypal transactions put the seller at risk?
Oct 21, 2006 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rumatt

100+ Head-Fier
I just read the paypal terms of use, and it says that if the credit card payment is reversed, you are responsible for that payment and it is subtracted from your account.

Does this mean I could sell something someone, they could pretend that I ripped them off somehow (use your imagination) and take the money back? If I demand they return the item, they could send me different item (broken, etc).

I understand that I assume risk when I buy used, and I spend time evaluating the seller (feedback, etc). But I thought as a seller I was pretty safe. I guess not.
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 8
its a whole can of worms that i was pretty nervous about too, basically you have to keep the transaction eligible for the Paypal Seller Protection Policy. there is alot of information about the requirments in their Terms and Conditions documents, if you remain eligible then they will protect you from a credit card chargeback.

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
you have to keep the transaction eligible for the Paypal Seller Protection Policy.

"The seller does not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal payments. Sellers should not charge buyers any additional fee (or “surcharge”) if the buyer chooses PayPal as the method of payment."

That makes 99% of sales ineligible right there.

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 8
I've never sold anything on e-bay, but intend to in the near future. I've been told to create a separate bank account for PayPal and keep it's balance at zero by moving funds out immediately after receiving them, so that reversed payments can't be taken out without your permission.

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
"The seller does not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal payments. Sellers should not charge buyers any additional fee (or “surcharge”) if the buyer chooses PayPal as the method of payment."

you just have to include paypal charge in your asking price. like if you want $200 for a a pair of headphones list them at $206 with included paypal fee.

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Some other message boards FS forums follow that rule. On Notebookreview.com boards you can't mention +3% for Paypal etc.

That being said, I like the status quo over here, and think it to be very fair.

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

No it doesn't. There are plenty of people who don't charge to accept Paypal payments. And if a seller does do that, I'm not broken hearted that they lose their protection.

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 8
To the OP question - if someone buys a product from me via credit card/Paypal and then requests a refund via Paypal- do I wrangle with the credit card company or Paypal to prove I sold a legit product and am entitled to payment?

I would prefer wrangling with credit card companies as they have processes set up to benefit both seller and buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back