Do connectors make a difference on cables?
Feb 21, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Connectors are more about personal choice for me. I don't like loosey goosey connectors, and I don't like twist locking connectors that gouge the crap out of my RCA jacks.

-Ed

That is largely the reason I use the Eichmann Bullets. The have a very tight fit yet do not scratch the jacks.
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #62 of 69
Not that I've noticed. I've built several identical cables with different connectors (surplus store inventory varies) and as far as I can tell they sound the same. These are generic gold-plated Teflon RCA's, I have a couple WBT clones and some non-locking ones of various models, I can't say there's a difference between them besides looks and how easy they are to solder. Haven't tried Eichmans or other exotic stuff yet so I won't comment on them.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
That is largely the reason I use the Eichmann Bullets. The have a very tight fit yet do not scratch the jacks.
icon10.gif

Have you compared both the Eichmann Silver and Copper?

I'm having a silver wire (unknown origin
biggrin.gif
) terminated with Eichmann Copper today. Cost me USD8 per piece. But I've seen it retail for USD 38 per set of 4 so I think I'm fine
smily_headphones1.gif

The Eichmann Silver is really pricey though
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #64 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Have you compared both the Eichmann Silver and Copper?

I'm having a silver wire (unknown origin
biggrin.gif
) terminated with Eichmann Copper today. Cost me USD8 per piece. But I've seen it retail for USD 38 per set of 4 so I think I'm fine
smily_headphones1.gif

The Eichmann Silver is really pricey though
eek.gif

Yes I have. The silver bullets seem to be a bit more detailed and sound just a bit thiner then the copper bullets. And yes, the silver is quite pricey although worth it over other silver options in most situations. If you want to see really pricy silve plugs check out the WBT Netgens at about $50USD each or some of the Oyaide and Xhadow offerings.

As for pairing the silver wire with the copper bullets I think that is your best choice. silver often sounds a bit on the brightish side with weaker bass... with the copper plugs it should help to compenstate for those potential flaws and make a better balanced cable. Another option would be to use a small guage silver wire around say 18awg or so and along with the silver bullets... but that would cost considerably more
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #65 of 69
Checked back, its not really silver wire...more like silver plated copper strands. I'm using the 22gA and it is military specs. I can't read the markings but the 14gA (which can be used for speaker cables, but I went for pure 5N silver wire instead
smily_headphones1.gif
)
reads M22759/43-14.

Plugged it into my phono amp and the sound is much smoother and relaxed and not burned in yet
biggrin.gif
. A big upgrade from my Ultralink Copper ICs which were grainy and slightly bright and even cost slightly more.

The Eichmann Bullet plugs seemed tough to fit in. I almost thought I could never get them to fit in the RCA plugs back of my amp but all it needs is some brute force
orphsmile.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Checked back, its not really silver wire...more like silver plated copper strands. I'm using the 22gA and it is military specs. I can't read the markings but the 14gA (which can be used for speaker cables, but I went for pure 5N silver wire instead
smily_headphones1.gif
)
reads M22759/43-14.

Plugged it into my phono amp and the sound is much smoother and relaxed and not burned in yet
biggrin.gif
. A big upgrade from my Ultralink Copper ICs which were grainy and slightly bright and even cost slightly more.

The Eichmann Bullet plugs seemed tough to fit in. I almost thought I could never get them to fit in the RCA plugs back of my amp but all it needs is some brute force
orphsmile.gif

Warming them with a hairdryer should help make them fit with ease if you found it difficult.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #67 of 69
Was reading Nelson Pass' comments about locking bananas, and their tendency to lose their plating when inevitably twisted. Next day, a friend brought his Silver Lace Homegrowns over, with locking bananas, and the gold plating was completely removed in the contact area.

And I suspect strongly that the comment above about gouging the receptacle (or at least deplating) is very much to the point.

Edit: Possibly because of the exposed brass, my friend had noticed that he needed to clean the contacts frequently.

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #68 of 69
In my analogue replay system I've heard the difference betwen connectors.. I removed the copper eichmans from my tonearm because it made the set-up sound thin and sharp. I kept them between phono stage and passive pre because it made the sound clear and open. Uh?!

I can't explain it and it's a pain to be soldering and unsoldering connectors the whole time (plus, in theory, they need to burn in each time), but the difference is there.

Quite often it's not about better, just about different.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #69 of 69
i changed the stock plug on my 34L vites with a higher quality plug and to my surprise it has made an improvement on the sound. I know this is hard to believe i`m having a hard time believeing it myself. So could you fellow diy`ers experiment and share your findings? change the plug on your cheap earbuds, like the senns 400/500, or headphones with a better quality plug and share your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back