Do computer monitors interfere /w components?
Jan 27, 2004 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
My audio system at school is setup on the same desk as my computer monitor. Just wondering if there would be any reason to move it to a different spot.

Are there any cases when it wouldnt be a good choice to have a cdp, amp, etc right next to a computer monitor?

Jan 27, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 9
I have my prior setup right next to the monitor. Even though I changed to sheilded cables, I could hear noise in my system when I turn up the volume of my amp up. This noise if present even when I turn off my monitor (although the noise is a lot lower compared to when it is on). The only solution was to unplug my monitor power cable.

When I move my amp a few feet away from my monitor, the noise completely disappears.

Jan 27, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 9
I also have my computer monitor next to my amp. While admittedly I don't have the most hi-fi system I can't hear anything different when the monitor is on. However the amp does make small waves on the computer monitor from the magnetic field it generates, but these are hardly noticeable.

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by needgoodphones
However the amp does make small waves on the computer monitor from the magnetic field it generates, but these are hardly noticeable.

If your amp does that, MOVE YOUR AMP AWAY! Your monitor may not last long. It happened to me once with my monitor & some small speakers that was not magnetically sheilded. Killed my old monitor
frown.gif

Actually it did not kill it, it just makes it show violet colors on one side all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
If your amp does that, MOVE YOUR AMP AWAY! Your monitor may not last long. It happened to me once with my monitor & some small speakers that was not magnetically sheilded. Killed my old monitor
frown.gif

Actually it did not kill it, it just makes it show violet colors on one side all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Get a degaussing cable and that should help if not fix the problem. It might take several runs using it though.

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 9
If it's on the same circuit, the added noise from computer power will raise the noise floor. This is less noticible effect than the physical closeness issues other people mentioned. Unless you have a power conditioner separating the 2, this could lead to less clear sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back