Do Comfortable IEM's Exist??
Jan 17, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 30
Speaking from personal experience, all iem's hurt my ears in the beginning. But after a couple years of use I could just about stick a copper pipe in there without too much discomfort.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just kidding of coure but you will get used to the feel of iems after a while. That being said, the Shure black foamies and Comply tips are the most comfortable that I have tried. And I have roughly 50 - 60 tips here in my desk drawer.

Don't give up. it will take time for your ears to grow accustomed to foreign material sticking in them...

Ply

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 30
Some people find all full IEMs uncomfortable. There are also the semi-canal phones of the Senn CX300 style. With $80 to spend you get some of the better ones that people here talk about: Mylarone, Vibe, ATH-CK7 etc.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Discomfort/pain is your body's way of telling you if something is not good for you.

Strenuous exercise involves "Discomfort/pain".

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 30
I have very small ear canals. When I owned the SE310 and later the 530's I had no problems wearing them 8+ hours straight at work with Yellow Foamies. Try them out if you have shures: Shure * - Universal Yellow Foam Sleeves.

The only downside is that they degrade pretty quickly. You'll need a 10 paid pack to last a year if you use them everyday for 8+ hours like I did. Comply's are ok also, but they're kinda dark.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #24 of 30
In all the IEMs I have tried I'll give the nod for comfort to Shure.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #25 of 30
I think it's very subjective, comfort is all in the ears of the beholder.
Good Luck & Merry Christmas
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #26 of 30
They do indeed exist!
I for one find the Westone UM2 to be quite comfortable, and I am sure there are others out there as well.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #27 of 30
x infinity on the UM1 westone IEM's IMO are the most comfortable of all universal IEM's coupled with possibly the best cable design of all IEM's

Dec 26, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #29 of 30
Comfort is subjective.

I consider my HF5s to be comfortable using Shure olives. I can wear them without discomfort for about two hours before I need to pop them out and let my ears have a bit of a breather.

Conversely I can (and have) worn my AD700s for ten hours without taking them off other than to get up and go handle biological functions (I was sick and stuck home so I watched anime all day).

Earphone comfort, like everything else in the earphone world, is a compromise. I'm one of the few girls I know who doesn't immediately start feeling grossed-out by the thought of putting headphones inside one's ears.

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #30 of 30
I've used my UM1 with Shure black olives for 7 hours on a plane with no discomfort at all. They don't go very far in your ear, like canal phones suggested before, which are also more in your price range.

I recently bought the Klipsch X5 and I used them on 4, 5 hour flights with a little discomfort. It was more irritation than pain.

The Shures I used to have I could use for a couple of hours with the yellow foam tips. This was before the black olives came out.

My im716 is about an hour tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back