Do closed design phones typically make eardrums throb??
Mar 9, 2008 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

joay

100+ Head-Fier
I've owned at least three closed design phones including a couple of semi-decent pairs (k271's and a denon pair long out of production). Typically I could use these for roughly 20 to 40 miuntes before my eardrums would start to throb (at even only moderate or low volume). To listen for long periods I would just have to suck it up and endure the constant aching (HarmonK stereo amp and sony disc changer source). Is this typical of closed designs?? or do I have weak eardrums?

Now I'm ramping up my headphone rig budget ($3000 total budget) and am looking at $500 to $1000 phones but don't want to have to rule out all closed designs. (any recommendations? I LOVE treble (female voices) and don't care for too much bass. Comfort is critcal. No IEM's)Attachment 2841

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by joay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this typical of closed designs?? or do I have weak eardrums?

I think it's at least somewhat typical of closed headphones. I've experienced this to varying degrees with different models, and would without a doubt say that the worst "ear pumpers" were the cheapy AKG K26P. Next up would be the beyerdynamic DT250 (both the 80 and 250 Ohm models). I don't recall experiencing this, at least not very much, with my AKG K271S and definitely not with the beyerdynamic DT770/80 Pro, the latter of which has some hefty bass at times, but never caused me any fatigue with the ear pumping.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 12
This has happened to me before, make sure the headphones aren't clamping your head very tight that could be part of the issue. I think you would enjoy some Senn HD-650s, Grado SR-225s, or the ATH-AD2000 AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Air Headphones - ATH-AD2000. I've owned both and alot of people are one way or the other, but I enjoy them both equally (Senns/Grados).

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Some people seem to have this issue with all closed designs. Most people don't.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, they are closed headphones, thus the air around inside is pretty much trapped, so it has little room to escape, so...well, common sense from there.
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Some people have reported feeling ill after listening to closed headphones. Its a very small number mind you, but it can happen.

Do you have an open pair to try out?

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people have reported feeling ill after listening to closed headphones. Its a very small number mind you, but it can happen.

Do you have an open pair to try out?

Yeah, I use HD600's with an MG Head OTL MKIII. Just purchased DT880's (still burning in), I like them a little better than Senn's so far (more pronounced high's). No problem with open ear design but I can't blast them them at work. hehe. Thanks for the responses guys.

I was thinking about maybe:
Sony MDR-SA5000
AT ATH-AD2000
or K1000's (but I don't want to have to buy a special amp to drive them)Attachment 2861

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 12
Listening too loud makes ears throb, period. If anything, it would seem to me, with their isolating abilities, closed phones should allow people to listen at lower volumes as you are competing less with ambient noise around you.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Markl makes a good point

I listen at very low volumes anymore- I am still horrified and boggled at how I used to listen to music at full blast in comparison to this..

Good isolation definitely makes a difference there

I haven't heard these- but you may want to check out impressions on equinox'd k701s.. would be on the lower end of your headphone budget but perhaps would deliver your mids and highs with excellence.. and plenty of money left over for a nice amp (tubes seem to be the heavy preference with k701s)

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 12
markl indeed makes a good point, for a given volume you should be experiencing a corresponding degree of pressure.

Thing is that open headphones tend to send backwave away from your ears. You don't have this with closed cans, they tune the drivers/enclosures to deal with backwave. In essense, a closed headphone could potentially be two times as fatiguing as an open headphone. (This assuming all headphones are dipole)

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 12
Clamping closed HP, who trap the air, can cause ear throbbing. But the Denon AH-D2000 for example sits very loose on your ears. Much looser than a studio headphone like the AKG 240/271, Sennheiser HD25 or the Ultrasone HP.

And the ATH-W5000 sits so loose on your ears, that many have problems to use them.

But you hear a thinner sound, if to much ear can come out of closed HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back