Do CD lens cleaning discs work?
Mar 17, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 7
This thread should answer your question. Also, I noticed you cross-posted in the Portables section. Are you planning on using this with a vintage portable CD player? If you are then you probably just need to adjust the tracking pots (see the DIY Discman Repair sticky).

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Well after I posted here I realized a lot of people use disc man portables too and I figure a lens is a lens. I'm having problems w/ my 300 disc, sony mega-changer.

Mar 17, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Whenever I have skipping problems or problems with my PCDPs being able to read a disc I use a cd lens cleaning disc to remedy the problem before I going tweaking with the pots. The cd lens cleaning disc works for me and I haven't had a problem with them. However you might want to find out if using a cd lens cleaning disc may hurt your fullsize CDP as some have mentioned that it can scratch the lens. I currently use the Discwasher RD1142 2-Brush wet CD/DVD laser lens cleaner:

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/rcard1142.html

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Whenever I have skipping problems or problems with my PCDPs being able to read a disc I use a cd lens cleaning disc to remedy the problem before I going tweaking with the pots. The cd lens cleaning disc works for me and I haven't had a problem with them. However you might want to find out if using a cd lens cleaning disc may hurt your fullsize CDP as some have mentioned that it can scratch the lens. I currently use the Discwasher RD1142 2-Brush wet CD/DVD laser lens cleaner:

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/rcard1142.html

Glad to hear you've had success w/ the discwasher. I definitely want to try one before taking my mega-changer appart. They have a lot going on inside. If it scratches the lens, so be it, I've gotten 5 yrs out of it and it's only $200 to replace. Also I want a excuse to get an iPod to replace it anyway.
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Just a word of caution I would check your cd/dvd players manual before using one of those. Some manufactures actually recommend not using any type of cleaning disc as the brushes can scratch the lens.

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 7
I've ruined TWO cd player with those miserable things. Don't do it. Get a phillips screwdriver or whatever and a can of Dust-Off. Those "brushes-glued-to-a-cd" are junk! Do yourself a favor and don't risk your deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back