Do balanced Armature based IEM's tend to have brightness issues?
May 8, 2016 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rebbi

100+ Head-Fier
It may look from the title of this thread like I am trolling, here, but I am not. :)
I am a veteran two channel audiophile dipping my big toe into the world of portable audio. I suppose you could say I like a classic "audiophile" sound – pretty neutral top to bottom. Maybe a little midbass boost for "fun factor," but I simply can't tolerate tizzy or tipped high-end masquerading as "detailed."
I am pretty happy with my Hifiman RE-600's, and I am wondering if there is an IEM in the sub $400 price range that has a similarly neutral sound signature? My experience with the Dunu DN 2000J was a brief one because of what struck me as too much "sizzle" on top. And in reading reviews, I have seen a number of the mid-priced BA based IEM's coming with caveats about brightness. That's why am asking this question. Thanks.

May 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 4
Check out the Campfire Audio Nova and the Orion.

No, pure BA designs do not always stray towards brightness, the tuning is a much bigger factor in that vs. the # and implementation of drivers.

May 8, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 4
It may look from the title of this thread like I am trolling, here, but I am not. :)
I am a veteran two channel audiophile dipping my big toe into the world of portable audio. I suppose you could say I like a classic "audiophile" sound – pretty neutral top to bottom. Maybe a little midbass boost for "fun factor," but I simply can't tolerate tizzy or tipped high-end masquerading as "detailed."
I am pretty happy with my Hifiman RE-600's, and I am wondering if there is an IEM in the sub $400 price range that has a similarly neutral sound signature? My experience with the Dunu DN 2000J was a brief one because of what struck me as too much "sizzle" on top. And in reading reviews, I have seen a number of the mid-priced BA based IEM's coming with caveats about brightness. That's why am asking this question. Thanks.

BA drivers have to be tuned carefully, because they can get sibilant. But they are not naturally bright. That's just a tuning choice. One I don't like. My preferred sound signature is neutral-warm. Mostly flat, with a little in favor of the bass.

My favorite IEM in your price range is the Audio Technica ATH-IM03. It is that perfect balance of neutrality with warmth. They have a more than decent soundstage. Good air and imaging. FAR from bright, but also not truly dark, like the IM04.

The one caveat I must mention is that they do need wide-bore tips. They can be a little sibilant with narrow-bore tips. Buy some JVC Spiral Dots or Ultimate Ear tips, and the sibilance clears up completely.

May 9, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 4
  Check out the Campfire Audio Nova and the Orion.

No, pure BA designs do not always stray towards brightness, the tuning is a much bigger factor in that vs. the # and implementation of drivers.

Thanks for your input and for your very nice review of the Orion!  Massdrop currently has the Nova for sale but it's a little pricey in the context of my budget for a brand new product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back