do augioengine a5's benefit from an amp?
Dec 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rv5

New Head-Fier
i'm pretty close to buying these for my laptop but wanted to know if they benefit from an amp such as the D10 which i already have. i could be closing in on a larger desktop amp soon as well.

also (depending on whether or not putting the amp between the speakers and laptop is necessary), just the best overall way to hook them up for best sound (a bonus if you know the best way to simultaneously hook them up to an HDTV as well). just want to get a head start on any additional cables i may need since i'm already putting in an order at monoprice for a couple separate items in the next day or so.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Moreso than an amp, its definitely a DAC that will benefit the speakers.

I plugged it into my laptop and compared it plugged into my amp (which was a dac/amp) and the results were phenomenal. MUST get a dac for it.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 17
Aren't the A5's already powered? I don't think amping them again will get an increase in sound quality. It is more the DAC part of your D10 that will get you the sound benefits.

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 17
an amp won't hurt it then will it? i only have a D10 and the DAC can't be used without the amp, and when i was planning on a desktop upgrade i was still more than likely going to go for another amp/dac in one unit.

best hookup methods would also still be appreciated. my computer doesn't have SPDIF but i plan to get one with it in another few months or so.

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 17
double amping is BAD
at best it sounds bad, at worst you fry something/blow a driver.

I use my LD MKII as a pre amp feeding my A5's and the sound is phenomenal.
I am unaware if the D10 has a preamp out...

As far as hooking up your computer and another input into A5's you can either just get cables that terminate to mini for both inputs on the A5, or for 3 or more you can build or buy a passive switch box. The one I built was around $30 in parts and works well. Most important part is the actual switch, I found a 3 input on ebay that was made by/for Glass Jar Audio and it is awesome, add in/outs and and a box and your in business.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 17
What you're looking for is a stereo preamp or something that functions similar to a preamp.

You'd want a stereo preamp that can take several inputs. One input will be your computer. One input will be your HDTV. The trick is that you'll need at least two outputs. One output for your A5 and one for the headphone amp. Most preamps will only have one output. If you can find one that has a tape loop you can connect the headphone amp to the tape out. Connect the A5 to the preamp out. In that configuration the A5 would be controlled by two volume knobs.

There are also desktop headphone amps that can function as a preamp. They'll have a set of RCA outputs on the back that can be volume controlled or not volume controlled. Connect the A5 to the RCA outputs from the headphone amp. The difficulty is that such a setup limits your choice of headphone amps since most amps don't include an RCA outputs.

One example of an amp that would fit the bill is the Maverick Audio Tube Magic. It also happens to be a DAC. I've never heard it. Just throwing it out as an example of a headphone amp that can be a preamp as well. Creek Audio amps also have a RCA outputs.

You have some options. But it's going to take some forethought and some understanding of how they will interconnect. You'll be needing to look for specific features in a headphone amp (one with RCA outputs) and/or specific features in a home stereo preamp to get the functionality that you want.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Their is an extensive thread on the Maverick. It looks like a fantastic option for desktop use with multiple ins, multiple outs, and good looks. Sound is supposedly very nice for the price. I'd get one if I hadn't already invested so much money in all my little components.

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 17
i have the a5 and they're fantastic for the price. but using a dedicated pre-amp isn't worth it, IMO. but as many have already said, a DAC is more important. my setup is computer->opus DAC->a5 and i've been extremely happy.

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 17
thank all for all the information so far. the maverick does in fact look like a great piece. i was planning on spending quite a bit more on my future desktop amp/dac setup (even the d10 costs more unless i'm completely missing something). a combo unit that will drive the a5's to their full potential while totally taking care of my headphone side-rig all in one sounds perfect. i'm definitely going to read into that later on.

drewfus- for whatever reason that i don't go with the maverick or something similar, do you pair a dac with your mkIII between your a5's? as i said now that i know i have the ability to basically kill all my birds with one stone that looks like the route i'm taking but i'm just curious to those of you that don't conform to what i'm assuming is not much of a selection when it comes to the all-in-one setups.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 17
on my desktop setup, I run from the line outs of my Xonar card >switch box>LD MKII

my laptop> M Audio USB DAC > switch box> LD MKII

LD MKII pre out to A5's, or HP out to 'phones

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 17
ham or anyone else - i decided i'm just going to go for the maverick.

04a0351d6b0dd9be9553845b166f4cc0.png

a66be0625ce78a26dd7e43f4dd3dbba0.png

there it is along with the a5's. i know the "digital in" options is for my laptop setup. i'm just going for the USB setup initally as my main PC hookup doesn't have it.

that aside, i'd just like to know what exactly goes where to get the a5's hooked up to the maverick with the HDTV simultaneously. not only to know what goes where, but because i'm going to pick up all the cables i need from monoprice so i know i have the right lengths onhand.

also, would there be any point to upgrading the speaker cable? any ideas on what to pickup? i also can't quite tell what the speaker cable inputs look like so if it comes to any type of soldering or general handyness i'd have to count myself out.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 17
Look into the uDac by NuForce. At $99 US it may be all you need. Seems to be some very happy owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back