Do audiophiles "like" music?
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #212 of 345
Ah yes.
Back on topic.
I consider myself both a music lover and an audiophile.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #213 of 345
Is there someone who doesn't love music? I mean, sure there are, and they are the angry bunch most likely... But there isn't a person who doesn't love music.

Audiophiles just have the extra bonus of loving better sound + cool (or hot) gear.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #214 of 345
  Is there someone who doesn't love music? I mean, sure there are, and they are the angry bunch most likely... But there isn't a person who doesn't love music.

Audiophiles just have the extra bonus of loving better sound + cool (or hot) gear.

I know of a few guys here who don't really care for the music but get very expensive gear becasue they love the sound of hifi.
I get a feeling Aspergers is involved in some of the cases. Not mentioning names.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #215 of 345
[quote name="Sweden" url="/t/677509/do-audiophiles-like-music/210#post_9992435"
I know of a few guys here who don't really care for the music but get very expensive gear becasue they love the sound of hifi.
I get a feeling Aspergers is involved in some of the cases. Not mentioning names.
[/quote]

I suspect there is a very high proportion of folks who post on the internet who have various mental health challenges.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #216 of 345
I suspect there is a very high proportion of folks who post on the internet who have various mental health challenges.

..writes the guy, who owns a Shanling Player, Wadia and Stax gear ... 
ksc75smile.gif
   -enjoy!

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #217 of 345
The whole premise of this thread is a false dichotomy between "music" and "sound." Sound is music; music is sound.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #219 of 345

..writes the guy, who owns a Shanling Player, Wadia and Stax gear ... 
ksc75smile.gif
   -enjoy!

What?
You don't like Wadia iPod docks? :)

BTW, I know a few people with mental health challenges.
To be honest, I just need a bit more patience when I deal with them.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #222 of 345

From what I see, relatively few people really "love" music.

How many people do you know who devote an evening to just listening to music? Not hanging with friends with music playing, not listening while performing chores, not listening on IEM's to distract themselves from the bustle on their commute, but listening to music as a solitary activity on a consistant basis? Relatively few, from what I see.

This is not meant as a criticism, BTW. The things I mentioned are quite reasonable uses for music. But, in common with most hobbies or activities, there are far more casual music users than devoted ones.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #223 of 345
  How many people do you know who devote an evening to just listening to music?

Three things:

1. The only people I've ever known to do this with speakers are 'audiophiles'.

2. Doing this with headphones is relatively common in my experience.  (Lying on your bed listening.  Sitting somewhere listening.  etc.)

3. Personally, I would do much less of both if I didn't have incredible playback systems.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #224 of 345

From what I see, relatively few people really "love" music.

How many people do you know who devote an evening to just listening to music? Not hanging with friends with music playing, not listening while performing chores, not listening on IEM's to distract themselves from the bustle on their commute, but listening to music as a solitary activity on a consistant basis? Relatively few, from what I see.

This is not meant as a criticism, BTW. The things I mentioned are quite reasonable uses for music. But, in common with most hobbies or activities, there are far more casual music users than devoted ones.

Honestly I really do devote entire evenings to listening to music. That excludes watching TV as I spend more time on my desktop. I really do enjoy listening to music by myself especially when I got nothing better do before I go to sleep.

I spent a much more considerable amount on my library than my equipment. I have about 81gb of music on my Foobar2000 playlist and 30gb in my iTunes. My Foobar2000 playlist consists of 75% FLAC or lossless files. I've listened to other audiophiles setups that cost over a few grand with miniscule playlists consisting of MAYBE 500 songs. Really, people should focus on discovering new music, not the latest shiny thing to play music on.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #225 of 345

Three things:

1. The only people I've ever known to do this with speakers are 'audiophiles'.

2. Doing this with headphones is relatively common in my experience.  (Lying on your bed listening.  Sitting somewhere listening.  etc.)

3. Personally, I would do much less of both if I didn't have incredible playback systems.

I agree that I would listen to a lot less music if the playback wasn't excellent. Because I love beautiful sound as well as rhythmic/melodic/harmonic patterns. Beautiful sound touches my soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back