Do Audio Recording Interfaces have Headphone Amps?
Dec 1, 2005 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey ...I am just getting on-board this whole headphone experience and have a question in evaluating what I get to listen to music in my office at home.

Well I have a Motu 828MKII Firewire recording interface in my home studio: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828/body.html/en

I notice when I plug various headphones into this (mdr-7506 and Senn HD590's) that it is cabable of driving them quite well. I also noticed this an old M-Audio USB devide I had. Way better than the standard out on a computer/iPod.

Obviously these devices are going to have a better DAC in them than a standard output but it also seems like the drive pretty well.

I bought a pair of 2nd hand Grado HF-1's so I will have to try this out as it could be my new office listening system. I guess its always better to reuse existing gear where you can.

So do such devices have some sort of amp that compares to the cheaper separate amps? Or perhaps just a better stronger signal?

I am sure someone here has experience with Mid-Pro level Audio Interfaces VS designated headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back