Do ath m50 headphones get a lot better after burning in?
May 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dkan808

New Head-Fier
Just got mine in the mail today and im a little dissapointed.  The sound seems a little clouded/muddy and not as clear as i thought it would be.  Would burning them in make a difference?

May 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
do i just have a dud or something then?  Everyone recommended these as my first real headphone but I dont see why they hyped it up so much

I think you had high expectations. The K701 and HD598 might be more along the line of what you're looking for, if you don't mind open. For a portable set...I don't know, the KRK KNS6400 or 8400 are small enough for portable use and sound nicely detailed.

May 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
What source are you using? The M50 sound their best when amp'd.

The OP has been posting a lot, basically spamming the forum with questions, literally interrogating the people who are generous enough to try to help him out. 

I just don't think the OP understands that closed headphones are just not going to sound as good as well designed open headphones. 

May 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
The OP has been posting a lot, basically spamming the forum with questions, literally interrogating the people who are generous enough to try to help him out. 

I just don't think the OP understands that closed headphones are just not going to sound as good as well designed open headphones. 

*Look at TH900*

Uh, sure.

And OP, M50 is simply not for you. Get rid of it ASAP.

May 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
*Look at TH900*

Uh, sure.

The TH900 (and to a lesser extent the TH600) are quite niche. I wouldn't say they are the best value $2000 you'll spend on headphones (not that I paid full MSRP for them). I would say that lower priced electrostatics such as the ESP 950 give the TH900 a run for it's money as well as the LCD2.2 and the HE6, but at that price, a lot of it is simply preference.

May 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
The TH900 (and to a lesser extent the TH600) are quite niche. I wouldn't say they are the best value $2000 you'll spend on headphones (not that I paid full MSRP for them). I would say that lower priced electrostatics such as the ESP 950 give the TH900 a run for it's money as well as the LCD2.2 and the HE6, but at that price, a lot of it is simply preference.

I could say otherwise since it's all about preference. Heck I don't even have to go that far to find some closed headphones I like better than open at particular price point.

May 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 13
lol at all the headphone anti-fanboyism!

I have a pair of ATH-M50s which i use at the lab for listening at my lab station. I also thought they sucked so much when I first bought them (coming from HD580s at home and IE8s / ATH-ES10s for the commute). I did about 80 hours of burn-in with pink noise on the M50s and although I do believe there is a bit of snake-oil when it comes to burn-in, I did hear a noticeable improvement in the sound, overall. Base became less flabby and highs toned down a bit. This is out of an iBasso D10 connected by USB playing FLAC. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think they are good headphones compared to some of the new offerings from companies like Fisher Audio, etc. But for the price they are fine for casual listening.

Enjoy!

May 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 13
M50 improved with burn in for me - I think the bass became tighter and the highs became slightly smoother. However, I think the improvement is more psychological - you just get used to the sound over time if you listen to that piece of audio equipment long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back