Do any of the music streaming services not have absolutely terrible audio quality?
Feb 13, 2013 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chu

1000+ Head-Fier
At work I use a combination of Pandora and Rhapsody for my music,  Pandora for "radio" and Rhapsody when I want to hear a particular album.  It's shocking how large the difference is between Pandora One (192K AAC) versus . . . whatever Rhapsody is using, which to my ears sounds like the 128K cbr mp3's I had in college.  This is doubly annoying since their mobile apps let you download full albums at much higher quality, so it's not a source issue.

It's gotten to the point where it's just intolerable. Do any of the other streaming music services do better?  What do others around here use?

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 16
1. MOG
2. Spotify

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 16
Make sure you are using the high quality option Rhapsody offers.  Much better than the standard version.  Especially if you are downloading music to devices.  Just make sure to do so over wireless so as to not use all your data allotment.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 16
I stream all my music through my Synology NAS. I love having my collection with me anywhere I go. They have ios and android apps in addition to streaming through any internet browser. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to look into a setup like that. You can even stream lossless files assuming you have enough upload bandwidth.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
I stream all my music through my Synology NAS. I love having my collection with me anywhere I go. They have ios and android apps in addition to streaming through any internet browser. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to look into a setup like that. You can even stream lossless files assuming you have enough upload bandwidth.

I think you are talking about streaming music that is already in your own collection. I'm guessing the OP is talking about streaming music that the OP doesn't already own, which is something completely different...

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
1. MOG
2. Spotify

Yes. These both stream at 320 and are of the highest in the industry I believe. My vote hands down goes to MOG though over Spotify, maybe the upcoming Daisy Project could bring about higher SQ?

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

The Qobuz streaming service has a losless quality subscription and it's the only one I know.

I guess I am proven wrong. I will have to check that service out, seems quite enticing with that type of subscription.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I guess I am proven wrong. I will have to check that service out, seems quite enticing with that type of subscription.

That may be a little difficult if you live in the U.S. As far as I know, their web site is in French and I don't think their service is meant for U.S. customers. By using Google, you can find instructions for buying downloadable music from their web site even though it's in French, but I don't know if it's possible to subscribe to their streaming service in the U.S. It might be, but it's probably not going to be very easy or practical. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

That may be a little difficult if you live in the U.S. As far as I know, their web site is in French and I don't think their service is meant for U.S. customers. By using Google, you can find instructions for buying downloadable music from their web site even though it's in French, but I don't know if it's possible to subscribe to their streaming service in the U.S. It might be, but it's probably not going to be very easy or practical. 

True. I couldn't find an English translation for the site but there are a bit of tutorials out there for native English speakers to navigate throughout the site to buy music/subscribe. Looks like quite the deal if French is your native tongue, but I'll stick to MOG in the meantime.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 16
I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would mention that Qobuz announced late this month (October 2013) that they will soon be reducing prices for their CD-quality streaming by about one-third. I use this service, and enjoy it immensely. I signed up from Canada and paid using a Canadian PayPal account.They also announced expansion to a number of new countries. I have never encountered geoblocking using their streaming service in Canada or in Brazil (where I spend most of my time). 

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 16
You're lucky just to have anything that works. Mog, Spotify, Qobuz and Pandora will not stream to my country and many others.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 16
You're lucky just to have anything that works. Mog, Spotify, Qobuz and Pandora will not stream to my country and many others.

I have used all three of these services in Brazil, when none was sold here (Spotify is now available). With a few simple tricks or a DNS unblocker you can use most services anywhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back