Do any closed phones sound good?
Feb 2, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by barmar46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard the Sony MDR 7509s? I have heard they're much improved over the 7506s but have not heard them directly. I've had them in consideration for an alternative to iems.

Had them and sold them. Good for studio monitoring, not for musical enjoyment. For their price there are better options. I purchased them against the advice of other Head-Fiers and wouldn't make that mistake again.

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #32 of 34
Closed phone designs seem more prone to idiosyncratic frequency imbalances and soundstage anomolies than open designs. They are like cabinet speakers in this regard. But some of the best and most musically satisfying, if not totally neutral, headphones are closed. From limited listening experience, I think that in current production, the JVC DX1000 and Denon D5000 seem like truly great products. Never mind the fact that these companies are not high end names. Of the two, the former may be slightly more liquid and euphonic, and the later more natural in the midrange. In fact, I doubt you'd find a better midrange in an open phone than the D5000, unless you spend a heck of a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back