Do amps really help IEMs?
Apr 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

animalsrush

500+ Head-Fier
All,

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered before, but do amps really help IEMs. I currently own UM2 and had owned hornet M in past. When i used hornet with UM2 and RIO karma i couldn't see huge difference in clarity as karma itself a great mp3 player. Now i have the awesome sony A729 mp3. As with karma( without dock) it has no line out . Will adding an amp to the headphone out of sony make a difference in sound quality. if yes what can i expect. here are things i am considering for upgrades
tongue.gif
-51 mustang amp and W3 or UM3x

PS: i am posting this IEMs section also .

Thanks in advance.
PC

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 8
I have a very simple, lower budget portable setup: Zune 30gb -> Fiio E5 -> Nuforce NE-7M. Even at it's low price and relatively low power, the E5 does improve the SQ of the NE-7M (and all other phones in my sig line). I'm toying with the idea of a $50-75 bigger amp (T4 or Penguin CMOY, etc)....

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 8
The Fiio will help your setup. But the change will be small. However, if you buy some real cans (I have a thing against IEMs), you will need an amp. And for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 8
In fact, Rio Karma has lineout. but you have to do an operation on it to make it more flexible/portable. Or you can use the original dock but it's not so portable.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 8
yes, even the notoriously easy to drive SE530 sound superior with a good amp IMO. IEMs need a lot of current actually.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, even the notoriously easy to drive SE530 sound superior with a good amp IMO. IEMs need a lot of current actually.

*sigh*....So If I go out and buy a RSA P-51 Mustang and a high quality mini to mini for my Zune 120 do you think I will get any improvements? Also if I am amping off of a clean headphone out the amp will still give it's own distinct sound signature? Also what do the Mustang improve in the SE530's? Please don't tell me it brightens the sound....I love the smooth highs and don't want to lose it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back