Do amps really do that much to V6s?
Sep 1, 2001 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

massappeal85

100+ Head-Fier
I need something portable, and right now my "audiophile" system consists of only Grado sr-60s. They aren't exactly the most portable phones (huge cord, too wobbly fit since I bent the headband, very open, not really comfortable), so I figured I'd get myself a pair of V6s since they seem to fit all those needs AND I could use them in a studio. I'd use my grados as home phones.

Before this I was going to wait for the porta corda and get a mid priced phone with it. I'll defintly be getting myself some sort of portable amp since I do plan on getting some higher end phones someday, but at this point would something like a TA (closest thing to a porta corda I can imagine) do anything to a V6 or grado 60s that would make the whole setup excel as a portable or home system, or is my money better spent elsewhere until I can afford some really good phones?

Thanks in advance. Peace.

Sep 2, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 6
the v6 does respond to more milliwatts from whatever headphone amp is in use, even it is the amp in your pcdp. they are so sensative that they have to be played at very low output from your pcdp headphone jack, and the bass response suffers. my cheap solution was to get an in-line volume cord from radio shack ($5), turn the pcdp (or whatever headphone source you're using) to the max, and attenutate using the volume control. you can also run your sony's out of the line out with it with great result (depending on your pcdp). you get the bass you want but you don't go deaf. obviously this only works with super sensative phone like sonys.

Sep 2, 2001 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 6
You know, it's funny - the more sensitive the phone, the SOFTER they play out of my PCDP's line-out. I have no idea why (impedance?), but higher-imp. phones like my KSC-35s are REALLY loud - like ear-splitting levels - out of the line-out.

888s are quite quiet, actually....

Sep 2, 2001 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 6
"but higher-imp. phones like my KSC-35s are REALLY loud - like ear-splitting levels - out of the line-out."

Really vij? My KSC-50s play VERY softly out of the line out on my CT570...

Sep 2, 2001 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 6
If you're talking about your d121's line out, vij, the solution is quite simple:
It is definitely louder than that of the 570 (just did a comparison)

However, I don't find the volume to be 'ear-splitting', so either my
ksc-50's are less sensitive than your ksc-35 or the recording level of your CDs is higher or your ears are more sensitive.

Bye

Redwoood

Sep 2, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 6
I also noticed that high impeadence phones (Senn 580s) sound much louder out of the line out of my CT470 than low impeadence phones(Grado RS-2s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back