Do all headphone companies have a 'house sound?'
Feb 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering because I have seen the 'Senn house sound' mentioned so often; so as my question asked, do all headphone companies have a house sound?
o2smile.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 16
not really. Audio-Technica is all over the place....maybe that's their house style
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 16
Sennheiser house sound is nothing more than a friendly jab at their history of do nothing new for the last 5 years. Look at the HD6XX lineup which shares the same architect, not to mention same swappable parts.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not really. Audio-Technica is all over the place....maybe that's their house style
tongue.gif

The ATHs generally share a certain house sound; their mids have a certain coloration that's common to them. I think that the only manufacturer that's hard to pinpoint the house sound is Sony; otherwise all manufacturers have a certain house sound in them. The Senn house sound is so distinctive you must be deaf if you can't recognize it.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 16
With a few exceptions I feel that most headphone companies DO have a house sound. The Beyers and Denons for example are to me generaly "Fun" "Punchy" cans, whereas the AT's and AKG's have a smoother reference quality "Flat" signature. The Only Grado I've heard has been the GS1k's and I read that the lesser Grados have a different SQ than "Big Brother".
But then It's about what I hear, which isn't necessarily going to be what you hear in them.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 16
i think boomy hit in on the head

While some companies utilize similar builds and drivers, which lead to similar sounds despite differences in quality, it is all about what you hear personally.

Denons and Sennheisers both use very similar builds and drivers, so their sound is going to be very recognizable

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon's house sound is somewhere between the Ultrasone and Sennheiser.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad you said that because I just ordered my first pair of Ultrasones (pro900) and I was wondering where they would fall in place with the Denons and Senns.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, but for AKG its "House Distortion".

I seriously can't believe that you scan for any thread with akg in it and then bash it. Especially after you say you can make the senn sound like anything by tube rolling but did not tube roll with the akg's. Oh wait, I can because you had 2k+ post in 6 months from posting this stupid ****. *looks at tuberolling line in olblueyez sig*

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 16
There are some exceptions, but it certainly feels like most companies have their sound signature.

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 16
Sennheiser in general has a warm sound..non-fatiguing..but there are models which sound different like HD595...which i wud say is brighter if not brightest of all...the upper mids have lot of energy...which makes them good for Pop music.

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #13 of 16
I read these nice analogies of house sounds:

Sennheiser: wood
BeyerDynamic: metal
AKG: glass

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the replies, posted the thread before I went to bed and I most certainly wasn't expecting that many replies. I guess I asked the question mainly because I have a pair of Denon C751 in ears and was thinking about the D2000's sometime this year and wondered if they would sound similar. I guess my answer is yes. Thanks everyone.
k701smile.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read these nice analogies of house sounds:

Sennheiser: wood
BeyerDynamic: metal
AKG: glass

That is a cool way of putting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back