Do all closed back Headphones make ears hot?
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

caceledon

New Head-Fier
I´ve had bad experiences with close back headphones (sennheiser Eh 150) in the summer, since I don’t have AC on my apartment, and my ears tend to get hot (unbearable). I find earphones far too uncomfortable but I need isolation.
I was wondering if hi end close back headphones have the same problem. I want to buy the Shure Shr840 for when I need the isolation, but the only thing that´s holding me back is the fact that they may have the same problem in the summer.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 22
try a pair of smaller closed headphones that sit on the ears instead of around the ears. They still isolate, but I wouldn't think it would get near as hot. Mine don't, but then it rarely gets above 18 degrees Celsius here.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 22
My Shure SRH-840's do not make my ears hot. They are a tad warmer than normal, I suppose, but never anything too uncomfortable. However, this probably is highly dependent on the listener's ears and sensitivity.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 22
i think it depends on the material for the pads.

something plasticky like the dt150 which doesnt breath - yeh hot. velour dt250 pads considerably better.

It appears the srh840 have leather pads. My w5000 have leather pads and they're ok for me for long periods of time. That's my 2c

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 22
The SRH-840 pads are actually pleather, contrary to initial impressions. Mighty comfy though!

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 22
I say a clear - No.
At least the Stax 4070 never made my ears any hotter than using the Stax SR-007BL, or any other open-back circumaural headphone for that matter.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 22
Closed headphones with leather/pleather pads tend to get rather hot simply because they do not breath well, if at all. Velour padded headphones breathe a bit more so they do not get that hot. If you want absolutely no heat around your ear lobes but still want isolation, IEM's are way to go.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 22
Yup pleather pads with clamping force to increase isolation it does get hot. Heck even my open german maestros with 0 clamping force get warm with it´s pleather pads though not to the point making me sweat thankfully
smily_headphones1.gif

But velour never had any issues with any headphones using velour pads.

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 22
Like mentioned above, some closed headphones have velour earpads.
See for example the various BeyerDynamic DT770 models, AKG K272 and Ultrasone Pro900.
They don't make your ears hot at all.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 22
This is a very individual thing. I find any closed phone, most open circumaural, and any on-ear leather or p-leather pads make my ears hot. My best luck (other than iems) is with Grado comfies. It seems that a lot of head fiers would probably disagree with me. That's okay. My ears work the way they work and there's nothing I can do about it. Read all you can and experiment.

Mooch

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 22
Haven´t tried any leather ones, but even velour-padded supra-aurals made my ears warm up quite a bit over time. Individual as said...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back