Do AKG K240mkii / 272HD etc compare with Denon D2000?
Nov 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MayorSimpleton

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all - been a few years, but I'm just limbering up for a new headphone purchase, to replace my MS2i's which I've liked a lot, but are starting to annoy me. It's looking like the the Denon D2000's are going to fit the bill on the grounds that they are going to be a slightly less in-your-face and hopefully far more comfortable alternative to the Alessandro's.

My question is ( and I know that the price range is different, plus the open / closed thing etc ) - do any of the above current range of AKG's compare with the Denons or are they vastly inferior, or very different sounding? Only reason I'm asking is basically I like the look of those particular AKG's! Nice design, and the build quality looks good - I jest of course but if sound wasn't an issue, I'd be buying those K272HD's on looks alone :)

Also - will I like the Denons?! For reference - I run a highly modded XCans V3 with souped up PS at home and an ancient but still wonderful iHP140 or Macbook at work - both unamped. I listen to rock, folk, acoustic, indie mostly, and very occasionally I game. In the past I've had DT880's which I hated ( can't remember exactly why - highs I think ), HD600's which I thought were really very good indeed, but the MS2i's pipped them for guitars, slam and general fun, and Super-Fi Pro's which are OK but only for whist I'm on the move. I'm already aware that the K701/2's, 601's are out as I don't think they have the right signature for me.

So the Denon's - good choice for me? Worth looking at AKG K240mkii or similar?

Cheers.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 3
I would suggest looking at the 240 as it is semi open so will have a little better sound stage. You might also want to consider the Audio Technica AD900. My musical tastes are somehwat similar and I enjoy my AD900 quite a bit (I will say they would be bass shy compared to the K240 and 272 though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back