Do 3.5mm splitters actually affect sound quality?
Jan 5, 2017 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking for a splitter to plug my headphones (well the amp) and my speakers into my Xonar DX, and I came across some posts on head-fi claiming you need a switch to maintain sound quality. Is this true in practice? Am I going to really notice the difference?

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 14
  Keeping one device off while using the other shouldn't cause any loss. Feeding the signal to both simultaneously is not recommended.

I tried it and I haven't noticed a big difference between keeping only one on vs. keeping both on strangely enough. That said, I only keep one on unless I forget about the other.

I'm using a cheap cable that's a little loose in the fittings, so maybe that's why.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 14
I have an RCA splitter that you get from any electronics store and I cannot detect any sound degradation.
Managed to use them for a few months before building my own RCA switch/passive pre.

My money is on "don't worry about it, just get an audio switcher.".

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 14
  I have an RCA splitter that you get from any electronics store and I cannot detect any sound degradation.
Managed to use them for a few months before building my own RCA switch/passive pre.

My money is on "don't worry about it, just get an audio switcher.".

Switches are fairly expensive and seem to be uncommon

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 14
  Switches are fairly expensive and seem to be uncommon

If you don't mind having non-audiophile approved gear, just go to an electronics store or section where they sell the cables and power extension gangs and etc. Usually they will have one of those composite switchers for dirt cheap. Back then when consoles were played on CRT televisions, every house with a console have one of these switches.

Or if you go to the fleabay route with extra cash, look up "passive pre". They will usually have audio switches but with an addition of a volume knob.

If you only need to choose between two sources you can get the Schiit Sys for about $49. I'm bored of mentioning and seeing Schiit all over the boards, but its one of the most recognizable brand currently.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 14
  If you don't mind having non-audiophile approved gear, just go to an electronics store or section where they sell the cables and power extension gangs and etc. Usually they will have one of those composite switchers for dirt cheap. Back then when consoles were played on CRT televisions, every house with a console have one of these switches.

Or if you go to the fleabay route with extra cash, look up "passive pre". They will usually have audio switches but with an addition of a volume knob.

If you only need to choose between two sources you can get the Schiit Sys for about $49. I'm bored of mentioning and seeing Schiit all over the boards, but its one of the most recognizable brand currently.

I'm looking for a 3.5mm switcher, wouldn't a composite switcher be video and RCA?

I'm trying to switch between two outputs (headphone + headphone amp and active speakers) from one source.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 14

I'm looking for a 3.5mm switcher, wouldn't a composite switcher be video and RCA?

I'm trying to switch between two outputs (headphone + headphone amp and active speakers) from one source.

Use an RCA to 3.5mm cable, or cables.
Yes I understand what you're trying to achieve. If you're referring to the Schiit Sys, you can plug them in backwards with one input and 2 outputs.
Is there any impediments? Are you trying to fit a certain budget? You seem to be rejecting solutions, I cannot help more without understanding your situation.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 14
This thread is perfect, I have the exact same issue but have an Asus Xonar DG soundcard. So theoretically if I turn off my PC speakers, there shouldn't be any loss of sound quality? I wouldn't mind buying a switcher, and there are a few on Amazon but I worry about static or any other issues. Does anybody have any recommendations? The soundcard has a built in amp so I want to utilize that.

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Manual-Selector-Sharing-Switch/dp/B00NTJET10/ref=pd_cp_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PB8NZMNGGBSSGWYG45K1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PORT-3-5mm-High-Quality-STEREO-Manual-Switch-BOX-Audio-Speaker-selector-AUX-US-/332080592504?hash=item4d518bb678:g:kgYAAOSw44BYbCtB

Would these be ok? 

Or if I was to just use a splitter cable, would it be ok to also use an extension cable for the headphones? Just don't want any loss in sound quality. Wouldn't the use of RCA adapters and such cause issues at all?

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 14
  Use an RCA to 3.5mm cable, or cables.
Yes I understand what you're trying to achieve. If you're referring to the Schiit Sys, you can plug them in backwards with one input and 2 outputs.
Is there any impediments? Are you trying to fit a certain budget? You seem to be rejecting solutions, I cannot help more without understanding your situation.

The Sys will just accept inputs as outputs and vice versa?

My budget was honestly just for a splitter, not a $50 switch. I just wanted to know if a splitter really reduced quality and if so, if it's really noticeable. I'm all budgeted out after holiday and New Years spending. If it really is best to go with a switch I guess I'd be willing to get the Sys in the future, or just get a RCA switcher and RCA to 3.5mm cables.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 14

The Sys will just accept inputs as outputs and vice versa?

My budget was honestly just for a splitter, not a $50 switch. I just wanted to know if a splitter really reduced quality and if so, if it's really noticeable. I'm all budgeted out after holiday and New Years spending. If it really is best to go with a switch I guess I'd be willing to get the Sys in the future, or just get a RCA switcher and RCA to 3.5mm cables.

I found a splitter and an extension cable at my work today. I will test it out and see if I notice any kind of difference. For reference I have Xonar DG, Audio Technica M50, and Logitech Z323, so nothing too fancy.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 14
  This thread is perfect, I have the exact same issue but have an Asus Xonar DG soundcard. So theoretically if I turn off my PC speakers, there shouldn't be any loss of sound quality? I wouldn't mind buying a switcher, and there are a few on Amazon but I worry about static or any other issues. Does anybody have any recommendations? The soundcard has a built in amp so I want to utilize that.

https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Manual-Selector-Sharing-Switch/dp/B00NTJET10/ref=pd_cp_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PB8NZMNGGBSSGWYG45K1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PORT-3-5mm-High-Quality-STEREO-Manual-Switch-BOX-Audio-Speaker-selector-AUX-US-/332080592504?hash=item4d518bb678:g:kgYAAOSw44BYbCtB

Would these be ok? 

Or if I was to just use a splitter cable, would it be ok to also use an extension cable for the headphones? Just don't want any loss in sound quality. Wouldn't the use of RCA adapters and such cause issues at all?

They look ok but I'm worried about the mini jack connections. Cheap mini audio jacks sometimes have bad connection with your mini plug and that could be a problem in the future. I'd suggest getting RCA switches instead of 3.5mm switches. But I won't be worried about any sound loss due to the switcher itself, internals are too short to affect it.
Of course some people believe in cryo dipped pure silver litz fairy dust interconnects, they might steer clear of these switches.

They won't have static problems because all negative terminals are connected together. So if you got a continuity tester or multimeter, you can see the negative jack for all inputs and outs has continuity, and it goes all the way into your sound card.

Cables though are a little dicey. My advise is to get mid priced cables or extensions, not the ones you get at dollar stores. I've had RCA to mini cable with reversed L-R channels, some stop working after a few weeks, some cables were made with pot metal wires (pot metal is just mixture of excess metal garbage during manufacturing) and they sounded bad. Like I said, super cheap dollar store/hardware store cables.
As long as the mechanical link between adapters and switches and jacks are strong/firm, you shouldn't have problems or loss in sound quality. Only way to know is to test them, so go to a brick and mortar store. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 14
  They look ok but I'm worried about the mini jack connections. Cheap mini audio jacks sometimes have bad connection with your mini plug and that could be a problem in the future. I'd suggest getting RCA switches instead of 3.5mm switches. But I won't be worried about any sound loss due to the switcher itself, internals are too short to affect it.
Of course some people believe in cryo dipped pure silver litz fairy dust interconnects, they might steer clear of these switches.

They won't have static problems because all negative terminals are connected together. So if you got a continuity tester or multimeter, you can see the negative jack for all inputs and outs has continuity, and it goes all the way into your sound card.

Cables though are a little dicey. My advise is to get mid priced cables or extensions, not the ones you get at dollar stores. I've had RCA to mini cable with reversed L-R channels, some stop working after a few weeks, some cables were made with pot metal wires (pot metal is just mixture of excess metal garbage during manufacturing) and they sounded bad. Like I said, super cheap dollar store/hardware store cables.
As long as the mechanical link between adapters and switches and jacks are strong/firm, you shouldn't have problems or loss in sound quality. Only way to know is to test them, so go to a brick and mortar store. 

Thanks for the tips. Is there something about RCA switches that makes it a better option than 3.5mm switches? So then I would just get pretty much any RCA switch box, and 3.55mm->RCA adapters for everything. Should I look for "gold plated" cables?  Does that make a difference?

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 14
  Thanks for the tips. Is there something about RCA switches that makes it a better option than 3.5mm switches? So then I would just get pretty much any RCA switch box, and 3.55mm->RCA adapters for everything. Should I look for "gold plated" cables?  Does that make a difference?

Gold plating is good for exposed contact points like the jacks and plugs. They don't tarnish like copper or rust like metal, so for longevity gold plated cables is a good choice. Gold also provides better conductivity but at that thickness and contact area, I doubt any changes can be discerned. Some jacks use nickel plating instead of gold, I cannot differentiate between them. I believe there is not audible difference.

My personal preference for RCA switches over 3.5mm is because of the mechanical connection. RCA jacks has better grip and contact area, and they're compatible with a wider range of products as desktop setups usually has RCA connections instead of 3.5mm mini audio jacks. Mini jacks only has pin sized connectors touching the plug terminals, some cheap brands will deform over time and not maintain connection. The only weak link in an RCA switcher is the switch itself. Some switchers use cheap switches that could loosen up over time and won't maintain connection. But we're talking about several thousand cycles through its lifespan, by the time it fails you probably already has a different setup or switcher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back