DNA Sonett or Mapletree Ear+ Super II
Dec 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

quicksound

Head-Fier
So far my setup consists of Beyerdynamic dt880's and an Audio-gd DAC-19, and now I'm trying to decide between which amplifier to get: the DNA Sonnett or MAD Ear+ Super II. Does anyone have any experience listening to these two amps? They both receive incredible reviews, but I haven't been able to find much in terms of comparisons between the two or in terms of how they synergize with beyers. Thanks for your help!

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
So far my setup consists of Beyerdynamic dt880's and an Audio-gd DAC-19, and now I'm trying to decide between which amplifier to get: the DNA Sonnett or MAD Ear+ Super II. Does anyone have any experience listening to these two amps? They both receive incredible reviews, but I haven't been able to find much in terms of comparisons between the two or in terms of how they synergize with beyers. Thanks for your help!

Methinks you can't go wrong with either. If you ever plan on buying Grado RS1s...maybe the MAD amp?

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 15
i'm very interested in this too... what have you chosen?

I'm gonna use it with a gs1000i..

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 15
The Sonett has the option of using the 120 ohm output which Beyer recommends for their phones. I had an Ear+ (not super) and a Sonett. I felt like the Ear+ was a darker sounding amp. When I had the DT880 and Sonett together it was an insanely detailed combo. Too much so for me.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm going to use with it a gs1000i, I've heard some beyerdynamics in the past but they all left me cold...
would you say that the sonett is bright? have you tried any form of tube-rolling?

thanks

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 15
I have the Sonett and enjoy it immensely.  Not bright, and very close to neutral for me.  

Here's a good thread if you haven't seen it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/493097/dna-sonett-review

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 15
I ended up going with the Sonett. My setup is FLAC->Audio-gd Dac19->DNA Sonett->DT 880 600 ohm. It's heavenly. I've always loved the DT880 sound (very detailed - in an incredibly good way!) and the Sonett provides enough power to drive them perfectly. With this combo I'm completely immersed in rich, detailed music with a lovely soundstage. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 15
Also, customcoco - what was your source/dac/amp when listening to the beyers? Here are some things I've noticed:

1) Audition headphones using a lossless source. If you listen to mp3's, blame the file, not the headphones.
2) Use an amplifier that is capable of driving the headphones. DT880 600 ohm's sound downright unremarkable out of an iPod. They sound absolutely incredible out of the DNA Sonett. I wouldn't recommend using an amplifier that is less powerful than the Sonett because I find myself turning it up to full volume at times. 
3) Use a quality DAC that is capable of providing a nice soundstage. I don't have much experience with other DAC's, but the Audio-gd DAC19 DF works great for me.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 15
why'd you part ways with the Sonett? 

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Also, customcoco - what was your source/dac/amp when listening to the beyers? Here are some things I've noticed:

1) Audition headphones using a lossless source. If you listen to mp3's, blame the file, not the headphones.
2) Use an amplifier that is capable of driving the headphones. DT880 600 ohm's sound downright unremarkable out of an iPod. They sound absolutely incredible out of the DNA Sonett. I wouldn't recommend using an amplifier that is less powerful than the Sonett because I find myself turning it up to full volume at times. 
3) Use a quality DAC that is capable of providing a nice soundstage. I don't have much experience with other DAC's, but the Audio-gd DAC19 DF works great for me.

I was listening through the dcs puccini and a luxman p1u. superb system but I don't think I gave them enough time. I'll retry them In the future, thanks

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
why'd you part ways with the Sonett? 

to upgrade to a ZDSE.  then wife wasnt happy with its size + money issues, i had to sell that too. right now using the csp2+. beautifully simple amp and even though my DAC is crap, it sounds very very good. waiting on a bifrost.  if i was rich enough to have a couple amps, the sonett would be one of those couple amps id keep very long term.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 15
How did the Sonett compare to the ZDSE?

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 15
Dec 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
How did the Sonett compare to the ZDSE?

i didnt have them at the same time nor did i have my T1 with the sonett.  if we can lump the sonett, WA2, csp2+ into a group, the ZDSE was a little better than that group.  if i had the space and money, id look for a used zdse again. i think at the new price, there are other options that come into play but i doubt ill get to that level for a while. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back