DMD "Friday Night In San Francisco" question
Feb 12, 2002 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
I picked this up on SACD recently. It lists three guitarists, Di Meola, McLaughlin and De Lucia. You can see the three of them in the photo...

[size=small]HOWEVER...[/size]

I can only hear two guitars (under headphones), one on the left and one on the right. And when it gets to the last two cuts, the guitar on the left "echoes" to the right channel.

Where is that third guitar? I can hear the other two playing, pick on string, talking and breathing but one full guitar is AWOL??

Feb 12, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Maybe one of them needed to work the mixing n stuff
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Which tracks?

From the credits:

Track 1: Paco (L), Al (R), no John
Track 2: John (L), Al (R), no Paco
Track 3: John (L), Al (R), no Paco
Track 4: Paco (L), John (M), Al (R)
Track 5: Paco (L), John (M), Al (R)

Haven't listened to it yet, myself (yes, I have just joined Team SACD with the purchase of a 775), so cannot confirm.

Also, when I was listening to Blow by Blow, I noticed it sounded odd -- not the mix I am familiar with, so I checked, and indeed, it was set to 5.1 mode, even though I had intended to listen 2-channel...ly. You might want to check your surround/multi-channel settings.

Feb 13, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks Dusty Chalk, it's a 2-channel SACD, and the vinyl is the same mix. I guess the first 3 tracks you've explained, in that only two of them are playing at a time. On tracks 3 and 4, the soundstage is different. I'll go back again and see if I can find all three on the last two tracks. I get the impression that two of them are sharing the same mic, which would explain the different soundstage I hear.

Feb 13, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Haven't listened to it yet, myself (yes, I have just joined Team SACD with the purchase of a 775), so cannot confirm.

Cool, Dusty...welcome aboard!
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
...it's a 2-channel SACD...

Yeah, I figured that out...eventually...nope, still haven't listened to it yet...I am hoping it severely needs burn-in, otherwise I really don't like the sound of DSD...yes, this is my first exposure...was listening to...hold on...Dvorak's 9th, Szell version, and hearing some really nasty distortions (sounded kinda like aliasing)...will let it burn-in some more before I condemn...will probably keep anyway...need to hear that Tubular Bells I have...alright, time to listen to some more Szell (Peer Gynt and Pictures!).

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Maybe one of them needed to work the mixing n stuff

Perhaps they're just that good
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 8
I've seen the great guitar trio live many times, including the very show in SF. Needless to say, those guys are nothing short of phenomenal...even Al, who often gets flamed as a technical player with no feeling. Those shows always had each guy do a solo piece, a couple of duets and several with the trio. Once they even dragged the great Steve Morse up for a quartet piece. Anyhow, slightly off topic, I'm happy to see that the trio lives on in this "higher" form....out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back