DJ Headphones round-up
Mar 2, 2004 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Reticuli

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone round up I found on the internet with Technics 1200, Sennheiser 280, Sony 700, and Pioneer 1000 headphones. I can't find it now.

Mar 2, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 19
The only one i've heard of is the Sony V700, and I strongly recommend against it. The rotating part breaks, because of bad design. It took 2 years for mine, but if you're DJing it'll take a lot less time.

Sound wise, they're ok for DJing, but the bass is far too strong and muddy, and the treble is absent.

Mar 2, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 19
I've owned 3 V700's (as well as two HD25-1's and two DT250-80's), and only one of those broke, mainly because I dropped it and trod on it. The pivot design is a compromise of materials and convenience. It can break, but only if you insist on doing the DJ thing in a quick and dirty way on a regular basis. The V700 design is very convenient and I'm told the reason professional DJ's keep on buying them after they break is for the whip-around convenience.

While the V700 are bloated from an 'audiophile' point of view given amplification, they actually do pretty well on low-powered portables such as Minidiscs and Europe-limited iPods. They are ultimately too heavy for portable use though. Also I happen to think they look rather silly on the head but most people think they look good.

Mar 2, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 19
That's not it. The round up I'm looking for also had Technics 1200 series headphones, Sennheisers, and was extensive and well written. Black background, too, with big pictures.

Mar 2, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 19
I had another poke around and found this one: http://rory.sharp.fm/files/audio/way...headphones.htm

It's not the one you were after, but if it was such a good review you probably should have bookmarked it.

It'd proably be easier if you just tell us what you want in a headphone, we might be able to suggest the best one for you.

Mar 3, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 19
Here are my requirements:

Sealed, Closed, Circumaural design (not the headphones that sit on your ear, rather AROUND it...no vents)

Sensitivity above 100dB/mW

Impedence between 20-70ohms

Ability to handle at least 400mW without any distortion or resonance of any kind.

Exaggerated (at least slightly) bass that is extremely tight/taught and well controlled.

Crisp highs that aren't any brighter than the Koss SportaPros'.

Midrange that is neutral or slightly recessed, but not exaggerated in any way. They can't be midrangey sounding headphones.

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 19
I really like the 280's but they don't have the upper bass hump that a lot of people seem to like. On the other hand though, they do have a slight low bass hump...
280smile.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Reticuli

Sealed, Closed, Circumaural design (not the headphones that sit on your ear, rather AROUND it...no vents)

Ability to handle at least 400mW without any distortion or resonance of any kind.

Exaggerated (at least slightly) bass that is extremely tight/taught and well controlled.

Midrange that is neutral or slightly recessed, but not exaggerated in any way. They can't be midrangey sounding headphones.

The Ultrasone HFI-550 Beatmasters ($140 @ www.meier-audio.de) match your description exactly. The Sony V6s match everything except the part about bright highs. My Allen&Heath Xone:32 has a 400mW output and the Ultrasones sound damn good out of it.

Mar 3, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 19
I can imagine the 280s would be great, but the bass is considered weak by many (including myself). Nonetheless, if you listen to music instead of bass then the 280s would be awesome. They have just about the best sound isolation you can get and they are very well constructed. I haven't heard any of the other headphones...sorry.

later, tbutterf

Mar 3, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Reticuli

the technics rpdj-1200 headphones fit your description except for that their supra-aural. i owned them a short while and always found them comfy though, especially for spinning.

that and i just saw them at frys for 50 bucks which is a lot less than i paid for them when i got them at guitar center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back