DJ Headphones for under $130?
Feb 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

conbob54

New Head-Fier
Hi,
This is my first post here, and Im hoping to get some guidance on which headphones I should buy.
I am a DJ, and I need these headphones to serve as my main DJ headphones, but they will also be used for everyday listening, and a bit of producing. Overall, heres a list of things that are important in my headphones
1) Comfort, I need to be wearing these for a couple hours for a DJ set, or be able to watch a DVD on my laptop without my ears dying.
2) Durability, of course, I will take good care of my cans, but chances are they will be subject to some difficult conditions.
3) Swivel ear/DJ design. I need to be able to listen to them with one ear on, one ear off. I would generally prefer a pair that is made specifically for DJing.
4) Relatively accurate sound signature. No BOOMING bass, will used mostly for techno/electro.
5) Closed ear design, with good isolation.
6) if possible, I want to spend less than 130

I was looking at the Technics RPDJ1200, but I heard that they arent that comfortable. Also I took a look at the HDJ1000s, but they are kind of out of my price range.
Do you guys have any other suggestion?

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 13
Here's the list of what I used in timeline

1. Sony MDR-V700 (broken)
2. Pioneer HDJ-1000 (broken)
3. A&H Xone XD-53 (stolen)
4. Technics RP-DH1200 (alive n kickin)
5. Shure SRH750DJ (in the mail)

1 - 4 are all typical DJ quality cans with the XD-53 having the best sound, the DH1200 being the heaviest but of solid build. It's hard to find the XD-53 for under $130 nor the Shure's so I'd suggest the Technics.

Although I never owned the DJ1200, I do have extensive experience with them and I like its sound quality over the DH1200 but the DH1200 isolates better.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Sony V6 or 7506

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 13
I have the RPDJ1200's and I've used them for about a decade. They've been dropped, spilled on, and chewed up by a dog. Amazingly, after replacing the earpads, they still look almost new. Clearly, durability is top notch.

Comfort, however, is another issue. I use these primarily for live mixing and for that they're pretty good--they're fairly light and I like the swivel action that makes it easy for one ear on/off mixing sessions. But they are not circumaural and don't provide the best isolation or comfort for at home use. I could probably listen to them for an hour or two at the most before the heat and pressure got to me.

For dedicated dj cans they sound pretty good, but they are by no means accurate. I've heard the DH1200 and I do think the DJ1200's sound better, but I wouldn't use either for studio work.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by conbob54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone adress the comfort issue with the technics? Are they useable for hours at a time?

Looks like you want something more than just DJ cans. DJ headphones clamp like a muthafu**a to get that isolation so if you want close to DJ cans maybe look into the ATH-M50. They're more comfortable than the ones I listed, provide good isolation and excellent for monitoring and producing tracks.

Are you a bedroom or club DJ? I almost never wear my cans continuously but I remember when I was burning in my DH1200 I had them on for maybe 1.5hrs before I got headaches. My ears measures 2.75" top to bottom and the DH1200 ear cushions slightly clamp on them.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 13
+1
And the M50 is a great 'phone.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try some used Ultrasones like the HFI-550/580/680/DJ1 Pro/PL-650.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 13
The M50's look pretty nice, but I have one question about what I am really looking for in a "DJ" Headphone. Is it necessary to get a headphone specifically billed as a "DJ Headphone", because it was built with DJs specifically in mind? Or do you think I can just get a good headphone like the M50 which has enough features to serve as a DJ headphone? Maybe theres some DJs out there who can give me some advice...

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 13
Honestly, pretty much anything will work--I used a set of earbuds when I forgot my headphones once. DJ headphones are designed to be fairly durable, portable and have some swivel options for live mixing applications, but you don't really "need" those features. Sounds like you want a set of do-it-all cans instead.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

for example, the M50 cant do this: http://www.udmdjstore.co.uk/pictures...10246v4057.jpg

is that a standard joint on DJ headphones? or special to the technics?

That's particular to the Techs. Other DJ headphones will have other kinds of swivel mechanisms, but the Technics' is my favorite.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

The M50's look pretty nice, but I have one question about what I am really looking for in a "DJ" Headphone. Is it necessary to get a headphone specifically billed as a "DJ Headphone", because it was built with DJs specifically in mind? Or do you think I can just get a good headphone like the M50 which has enough features to serve as a DJ headphone? Maybe theres some DJs out there who can give me some advice...

The Sennheiser HD 25-1 wasn't specifically designed for DJs but look at today's DJs; they love the 25-1. Typical DJ cans were built to stand abuse, offer excellent isolation in noisy environments, and be loud without distortion. If you're a bedroom, house, or backyard type of DJ, the M50 will suffice and you can get them cheap online. I got my second set not too long ago for $81.

I started house DJing with the Sony's and moved up to club gigs using the Technics. I can safely assume you're not doing clubs, right? The M50s will suit you fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back