DJ headphones, experiences and advice please!
Feb 10, 2010 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jawohlol

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am investigating what headphone is the best to take for DJing.

I heard very good things about the Allen & Heath Xone XD53, also having some advantages (like circumaural, standard spiral cable) over the HD25. I also have recommendations for the Beyer Dynamic Dt770/780, or Ultrasone PRO750? I also heard the Shure SRH750DJ is good, any experiences The XD53 one is my current choice, but I also like to hear other peoples opinions.

My key important factors are Sound quality (crisp, clear treble, mids and a feelable bass) and isolation, so I won't get deaf in a few years. Loudness is not of much importance for me.

I hope anyone can tell their experiences with one or more of these headphones. If you have any suggestions I am open for it, but please let them be so good so the choice will be easier
smily_headphones1.gif

Any comments are welcome of course!

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 17
Been playing DnB and my pick is hd 25 1, tight lightning fast bass good for beatmatching , isolation/comfort one of the best , they stick to my head however I put them on , indestructible, very light ! Beyer dt 770 has bloated bass and that is not god for beatmatching, pro 750 dont have isolation that is needed and will have trouble powering them from your mixer.If it wasnt hd 25 1 it would be gmp 8.35d . They have all the ingredients that I like !

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 17
The Senn HD25 and Ultrasones in general have a pretty good rep. I use Senn HD215's mainly for convenience; I have two sets of them and they've never broken on me even after some moderate abuse. They isolate very well and still sound pretty good when the volume's up.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the replies
beerchug.gif

From reading the replies I think I can cut off the Ultrasones and the Beyers.

Then I am left with the A&H XD53, Sennheiser HD25.

The only thing I have against the Sennheiser is that I have to pay 50 euro to get a spiral cable, and the fact that it is on ear instead of over the ear. How long does it stay comfortable? Is there a package where the spiral cable is included already?

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 17
Velour sounds nice
smily_headphones1.gif
if not shipped I will buy them seperately.

What is the difference between the Sennheiser HD 25-C II (costing around 170 euro including shipping) and the Sennheiser HD 25-1-ll SVS(costing little less than 170 with shipping)? Because there comes a coiled cable with the HD25 C II, which would cost around 40-50 euro separately, but I don't want to give in to sound quality or anything.

I heard somewhere that steel cable is worse than copper cable, sound wise. Is this true?

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 17
Hmm.. How is this different than, electron transfer is the same? And why would sennheiser supply cables not giving optimal sound on professional headphones, while on the cheaper there is copper?

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 17
For half the price of the HD25 You can have
Audio Technica ATH-Pro5 - they are good sounding with amazing instruments separation - I also enjoyed the bass
smily_headphones1.gif
build very solid and the spiral cable is included.

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 17
Don't rule out
Technics RP-DH1200
1218_1.jpg

Denon DN-HP 1000
dnhp1000.jpg

AKG K181 DJ
akgK181DJ.jpg

Pioneer HDJ 1000
HDJ-1000.jpg

and if you really don't mind spending..

Pioneer HDJ-2000
74447.jpg

Like I've mentioned before..if you're really DJing your priorities should be:
build quality, THEN sound quality...and in all honesty they mostly sound the same when you're working in a high noise environment..so it comes down to personal choice really.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawohlol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. How is this different than, electron transfer is the same? And why would sennheiser supply cables not giving optimal sound on professional headphones, while on the cheaper there is copper?

Durability was primary with hd 25 1 but sound with steel cable is not bad at all!

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 17
The standard steel cable isn't bad, but the coiled copper cable sounds better. However the coiled cable is rather heavy and can be a bit of an annoyance pulling down on one side.
The HD25-C II is identical to the HD25-1 II except for the cable.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 17
I am going to DJ with them of course, but I also like to use them for casual listening, so sound is more important for me than build quality, and just as important as isolation.

About the headphones:

I tried the RPDH1200 with another DJ, but I didn't really like them: too bulky, too heavy, and the sound is not really special I think.. Hmm Armin uses them, why don't I like them
smily_headphones1.gif

The Denon HP1000 uses the same drivers as the Xone XD53 (OEM product), but there is supposed to be some differences with them (Xone has better build quality, Denon better Isolation). I wonder if anyone has experiences with these?

I heard the HDJ 1000 produces mediocre sound, and is not very durable (have seen some broken ones and bad stories)

And the HDJ2000.. It looks terrific, it is durable, But most important the sound is also very good, from what I heard. But how does it compare to the HD25 and the Xone XD53/Denon HP1000? The price is nearly double of these, so I wonder if that price is justified? And I heard the metal oxidizes and wears quickly (magnesium), making it look ugly and less durable.

The HDJ2000 is connected via Mini XLR, should this make a difference in the sound quality?

In a nutshell, my preferred options are;
HD25
XD53/HP1000
HDJ2000

How would they rank in:
Isolation (I think 1. HD25 2. XD53 3 HDJ2000, but not sure?)
Comfort (I think 1 HDJ 2 XD53 3 HD25)
Treble
Mids
Bass
Durability
Aesthetics (1 HDJ 2 XD53 3 HD25)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back