DJ headphones 101
Feb 2, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #16 of 31
Well, of course the HDJ-2000 aren't undestructible
wink.gif
you can find about that around here too.

I would cross out of your list both DN-HP700 for being an inferior set, and HDJ-2000 as being quite overpriced for what they do.

I don't think you understood what I meant. In the past, dj headphones did have quite severe imbalance, but that not what happens now with current dj headphones, such as HDJ-2000 or XD-53. While there is still a bit of a smile shaped EQ, it's far from being the sharp V shaped EQ that some older dj headphones had. And through EQing, the sound does get back in place, in the event you don't find it to your taste.

If you have access to, I'd try the A&H XD-53, AKG K181 DJ and Ultrasone DJ1/HFI-580. One of those is bound to please you.

About the Fiio E5, why not spending just a bit more and getting a PA2V2 which sounds much better than the E5?

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
Quote:
About the Fiio E5, why not spending just a bit more and getting a PA2V2 which sounds much better than the E5?

Hehe  You can always spend just a bit more :)

Actually I might some day buy this PA2V2 amp. Looks pretty cool, checked their website and the whole operation seems awesome :)

For now though I think that E5 will be good enough for me. Plus I like that E5 is very lightweight and you can just attach it to a piece of clothing.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
What is everyone's opinions on sennheiser HD25-ii's as dj headphones?? actually being used to dj with??

Well, here in Sweden it's the only headphone I've seen any DJs use.  Granted, I've not been to see any good DJs, just run-of-the-mill club DJs.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hehe  You can always spend just a bit more :)

Actually I might some day buy this PA2V2 amp. Looks pretty cool, checked their website and the whole operation seems awesome :)

For now though I think that E5 will be good enough for me. Plus I like that E5 is very lightweight and you can just attach it to a piece of clothing.

Man, the price difference is smaller than the sound difference. You wouldn't regret getting a PA2V2
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 31
stay away from the ultrasone dj1 if you are interested in comfort and portability.  They say they are DJ headphones but are totally opposite.  They are huge, extremely heavy and are designed like studio monitors with large gaps between your head and the band.  In terms of sound quality, they are great.  For real Dj applications, you cant be worse than that.  Look for my recent review on the dj1 if you want to know more

the denon hp700 gets my vote. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #26 of 31
the Pioneers are huge,  no real dj would ever wear them

the denons are smaller and cheaper and naturally have a lower sound quality.  If you need sound quality over anything else, I wouldnt suggest any of the ones listed and I would actually go for the Audio Technica M50 or Shure 750 DJ, as they are fantastic DJ cans and even though they are fairly large themselves, they are comfortable slung over your neck without choking you like the others listed will,  the denon is the lesser of all the evils listed.  All of them sound great though so dont get me wrong, but yes you are right in saying they are a lower level set than the others.  However, for real DJ application they are excellent.  

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
stay away from the ultrasone dj1 if you are interested in comfort and portability.  They say they are DJ headphones but are totally opposite.  They are huge, extremely heavy and are designed like studio monitors with large gaps between your head and the band.  In terms of sound quality, they are great.  For real Dj applications, you cant be worse than that.  Look for my recent review on the dj1 if you want to know more

the denon hp700 gets my vote. 

Interesting, I find my DJ1's to be quite comfortable and they fold down small for a full-sized can.

If the DJ1's are huge, then the DJ1-PRO must have it's own gravitational pull.....

Sound quality is simply stellar for a headphone in it's price range.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
What is everyone's opinions on sennheiser HD25-ii's as dj headphones?? actually being used to dj with??

They are superb for mixing, good isolation, compact form factor, look great and they are as tough-as-old-boots.

I gave mine to a dj friend in need and I replaced them with AKG 518DJ as my around-town portable can and at one third of the price they are a bargain with comparable build quality, isolation, looks and a cracking soundstage for a little closed supra-aural.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #29 of 31
Yes, Im sorry Ive never used the DJ1, i totally forgot about it and was talking about the pro that i did my review on.  They are huge and almost 300 grams heavy.  SUPER heavy and extremely large in the headband, here look at this picture for size reference.  They are so far from "DJ" headphones I cannot stress it enough.  You literally cant do worse lol, but they sound amazing :)

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #30 of 31
I really like my DENON DN-HP700, so much that I'm having doubts if it was a good idea to get the ATH M50. But these denons might look as bass-shy to the bass lovers, and, they dont have the quantity in bass, but they definitely have quality. specially with a powerful amp, which is something i learned thanks to Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back