DJ and Production gear!
Sep 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Apo0th3karY

500+ Head-Fier
I'm very curious as to what kind of set ups that DJs, and/or producers have going on.
What kind of PC you're running, controller, mixer, decks, and most importantly what kind of sound set up you're using.

I know DJing doesn't always involve computers, but nowadays, more often than not, basement DJs like myself are going more digital, taking the route of a DJ Controller and DJ software rather than a heafty collection of vinyls or an ever expanding book of burnt CDs from digital purchases.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 9
I use a 13" Macbook Pro and mainly spin on a Numark NS7 playing through a couple of KRK 5" Rokit speakers. I'm a gear hog so I also own a couple of Numark V7"s, A VCI-300, two Denon DN-S3700's, 8 Technics turntables a bunch of mixers including an original Bozak and a Urei. I also use Abelton Live and Serato.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 9
Nice. I was wondering how well that Strip Search works, and if it's actually more useful than just clicking on the waveform in ITCH. Come to think of it, I know nothing about Serato, or ITCH, so it's all new to me.

Also, how do you like the Rokit 5s? is the signature flat? Or is it more lower mid range emphasized, like the m-audio 5" monitors? I'm using a Win7 dual core 8gb ram laptop with Kontrol S4 running Traktor 2.5.1, all being played on Fostex pm0.4n monitors, and I REALLY like these monitors. I Really badly need to get a subwoofer for my set up - mixes aren't the same without it. 

When A/Bing the monitors before buying, I only really got through the M-Audio 5" before listening to the pm0.4n's and being really impressed with the flatness and clarity of the highs and mids, while not mudding whatever bass IS present. I'm seriously lacking a bass in my mixes with these, but the flat response otherwise makes up for it. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 9
The strip search works pretty good. It is not as accurate as using a mouse and clicking on the wave form on the laptop since you are using your fat finger instead of a pointer, but it works good enough that I don't use the mouse. I really didn't compare the Rokit 5's to anything else before buying. I saw a cheap pair used on craigslist and I bought them. I do have the matching subwoofer and the subwoofer really sounds nice. I really don't think any of these small active monitors are very accurate like an expensive pair of true monitors. They are basically design to make some noise in bedroom setups. I'll have to go listen to your Fostex to see how they compare.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 9
its a traditional setting for me - x2 turntables and a mixer. the only reall innovation for me has been the addition of a Sonos wireless multi room speaker system - that way i can put on a record and roam the house while listening.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I use a 13" Macbook Pro and mainly spin on a Numark NS7 playing through a couple of KRK 5" Rokit speakers. I'm a gear hog so I also own a couple of Numark V7"s, A VCI-300, two Denon DN-S3700's, 8 Technics turntables a bunch of mixers including an original Bozak and a Urei. I also use Abelton Live and Serato.

[size=9pt]8 turntables?? thats insane, gear hog yes! have you every used a Ecler mixer? I've been eyeing off their NUO's for some time.[/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]Apo0th3karY - that’s the problem with studio monitoring speakers. they're intentionally flat so unless you have them wall mounted the bass is pretty thin, well at least that’s why i justified my JBL LSR2310SP subwoofer purchase. my monitors are nothing too impressive, passive alesis monitor ones MKII's and a RA300 amplifier. I like that the amp simply has only three controls on it - an on/off button and separate left and right volume controls. the home hi-fi amp at the moment look sort of ridiculous with all their lights buttons and lcd displays.[/size]

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 9
I have never used the Ecler mixers, but from what I hear, they are supposed to be excellent. I no longer use the KRK speakers either. I found a pair of Audioengine A5 speakers at a pawn shop, and they sound a lot better than the KRK's. I also sold one of my 1200's, so I'm down to 7 turntables.  

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 9
yep ... i think i'll make the move to an Ecler. My Vestax has a bit of audio bleed when queuing.

i'm kind of curious as to whether you use a headphone amp. i've always run my headphones off my mixer but having just upgraded my headphones and spent a bit of time browsing this forum i'm wondering if the headphone circuit on the mixer cuts the mustard. given most headphone amps are designed for iPhone or digital to audio i'm not even really sure how one would work for a DJ setup. If it was to run off one of the RCA outputs from the mixer would the mixers pre-amping negate any of the audio benefit of the headphone amp??

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 9
Well since my Bozak and Urei where made back in the 70's and 80's. They have a super loud headphone amp. Back then, the Sennheiser HD-414 was the headphone to have, and it takes a huge amount of power to drive those. I still have a pair of HD-414 and you can barely hear them if you plug them into an iPod. My Numark NS7 mixer barely has enough power to drive them. I do have a SR-71 portable headphone amp that I can use to boost the signal with the newer mixers, and then they work just fine. With my newer HD-25's, newer mixers provide plenty of power to run those, which is normally what I use. If your headphones are loud enough with an iPod, your new mixer should have no problem driving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back