DIYmod, V-Cap Dock, burn-in dilemma..
Mar 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gechu

Head-Fier
According to the guys over at V-Cap Oil Capacitor comments I need +200 hours burn-in to get my v-cap dock started. Problem is that I don´t know how to feed this dock with anything other than battery-driven equipment (i.e. my DIYmodded ipod), and I don´t want to drain the batteries.

Are there some other way around?

Thanks,
Erik

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gechu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the guys over at V-Cap Oil Capacitor comments I need +200 hours burn-in to get my v-cap dock started. Problem is that I don´t know how to feed this dock with anything other than battery-driven equipment (i.e. my DIYmodded ipod), and I don´t want to drain the batteries.

Are there some other way around?

Thanks,
Erik

You could get a charging ipod lineout dock. A couple of people make them, it is a line-out cable with a place to attach a mini-usb cable or DC adapter.

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 12
gechu, if i understand correctly, and i may not!

the vcap has captive (hardwired) line out dock right?

ok,

as manaox2 says,

then you would get a charging lineout dock which has a female dock receiver to male

quaddy-albums-imod-charge-system-picture2149-100-7969.jpg

so that you plug in the male line out dock from vcap into female dock port on charge cable, then plug the chargers male dock connector into the imod, the charging dock could either have wall wart or usb recepticle for computer usb port/wall charging whilst playing

this is how i did 1000 hours on my teflon vcap and imod, contact stevenkelby here he made mine and is a great guy to work with

some more photos here of my previous rig/charger to help

cheers

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 12
just feed the left mini jack with any signal and use the outputs either the RCA or the right hand minijack. whatever you do do not use the left mini jack directly with an amp or headphones. warned you about that already i think, but i'm doing so again now. the left is IN and the right is OUT; but the INPUT also is connected to the LOD, so if you have the DIYMOD connected do not plug the amp or HP's directly into the left hand minijack.

so you can just feed the left mini wit any signal like plug the ipod into its regular charger and feed the dock with the HP out; easy fix. dont need to buy anything else. oh and BTWI already put about 100hrs on the dock burn-in before I shipped. told you a USb would come in handy hehe

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 12
I didn't understand much of that except the second part. You either meant that you shouldn't hook up the vCaps in the wrong direction or I guess your warning him not to plug the line-out cable he doesn't have directly (without the vCap dock in-between) into the amp or connect headphones somehow to the line-out as it will possibly damage them with DC current. I don't think he has that option without a line-out dock cable and a 5.5g DIYmod.

It'll sound bad if he tries to listen to his setup with the sound he gets from hooking the vCap dock to the headphone output on the iPod. It is not because of the headphone out quality, but because you are using extra coupling capacitors in the chain not needed when there is no more DC to block.

Still, if you decide to do it that way, make sure you crank the volume all the way up to line-out level. Might as well not even use the ipod then so that your not discharging the battery at all. There still needs a load on the other end too, so make sure that the dock is hooked up to either a dummy load or an amp with headphones.

PS. I'm not sure if your a "he", so I hope you'll excuse me using that.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't understand much of that except the second part. You either meant that you shouldn't hook up the vCaps in the wrong direction or I guess your warning him not to plug the line-out cable he doesn't have directly (without the vCap dock in-between) into the amp or connect headphones somehow to the line-out as it will possibly damage them with DC current. I don't think he has that option without a line-out dock cable and a 5.5g DIYmod.

It'll sound bad if he tries to listen to his setup with the sound he gets from hooking the vCap dock to the headphone output on the iPod. It is not because of the headphone out quality, but because you are using extra coupling capacitors in the chain not needed when there is no more DC to block.

Still, if you decide to do it that way, make sure you crank the volume all the way up to line-out level. Might as well not even use the ipod then so that your not discharging the battery at all. There still needs a load on the other end too, so make sure that the dock is hooked up to either a dummy load or an amp with headphones.

PS. I'm not sure if your a "he", so I hope you'll excuse me using that.

hehe yes you are right. I mixed up a warning in with a recommendation. the LOD and left (input) are on the same circuit; so if he connects the ipod (to the LOD hardwired) and uses the left mini socket (as an output) he will be getting the DC offset mixed in with a signal as he will be getting the ipod line directly before the caps. he doesnt have to listen to the burn-in. this is just a way of putting a load on the caps. so he can use any signal into the left mini input and either connect the right mini socket (output) or the RCA (also output) he can however use the hardwired LOD and the right mini or the RCA. thats kind-of why I put the mini input on there was for burn-in. and flexibility/ future-proofing although, since I already put 100 hours on it he's probably getting close to the 200hrts anyway. but you are right I forgot to mention he needs a load on the caps. he could use the RCA and connect to a home amp for this

and yes he's a he
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 12
I´m really confused
wink.gif
There are two holes at each side of the hardwired LOD. I assume those are the mini-connectors you are talking about.

left mini socket (as an output) ... use any signal into the left mini input ... the right mini socket (output).

At first the "left mini" is output - then input, which direction is the "left" and "right" ones?

Unless there is a way to play songs on your ipod while it´s connected to a computer using the USB interface, I don´t cannot figure out how the ipod can be involved in the burn in process?

A lot of questions, thanks for taking your time

and yes qusp is right, I´m a boy
wink.gif

//Erik

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

I´m really confused
wink.gif
There are two holes at each side of the hardwired LOD. I assume those are the mini-connectors you are talking about.

left mini socket (as an output) ... use any signal into the left mini input ... the right mini socket (output).

At first the "left mini" is output - then input, which direction is the "left" and "right" ones?

Unless there is a way to play songs on your ipod while it´s connected to a computer using the USB interface, I don´t cannot figure out how the ipod can be involved in the burn in process?

wink.gif

//Erik

Yeah, those are mini jacks. He may be basically saying don't hook it into an iPod dock and another source or output on the iPod into the other end at the same time. Its not likely to happen I wouldn't think.

You can use the cable shown in the pictures above to charge while playing songs, but not transfer data. The iPod would be the source in that case and would be burning in the caps.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I´m really confused
wink.gif

wink.gif

//Erik

OK let me try this again. the left side is an INPUT and the right side is the OUTPUT as would be logical. and what i'm saying is do not use the input as an output, because you will get the signal before the caps you will hear audio, but it will be before the caps, which is not at all good unless your amp has some input caps (rare)

it may not be apparent, because you would be getting audio, but there would be an invisible killer and that is DC offset.

the ipod cannot be involved in burn-in without constant recharging or the use of one of those cables, but you can use the left (INPUT) from any source like a CD player or whatever and use the right side mini (output) or the RCA as output to put load on the caps.

better??

sorry its a pretty simple thing, but hard to explain. I never said to use the left side as an output; in fact that is exactly what i'm warning you against doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp
I mixed up a warning in with a recommendation. the LOD and left (input) are on the same circuit;so if he connects the ipod (to the LOD hardwired) and uses the left mini socket (as an output) he will be getting the DC offset mixed in with a signal as he will be getting the ipod line directly before the caps

Bold = [size=x-large]BAD[/size]
evil_smiley.gif
, bold red = very bad. luckily it would not be instinctual to do that, and thought I had warned you, but obviously not enough. thought about putting a warning on the case.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 12
No Problem gechu; sounds like you get it now
biggrin.gif
so yeah just use the left one as input with any source, you could even use the headphone out of the ipod via a mini to mini cable; while connected to a charger at the dock end; would have to be a wall charger as if connected to a PC it would go into sync mode. in that way the ipod could indeed be used as part of the burn-in. just wouldnt be taking advantage of the mod. but yeah a CD player or something like that would be perfect and set to about 80-90% volume on the source or a line-out if it has one which is basically 100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back