DIY'ers! Little LED Help Here...
Sep 19, 2005 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BRBJackson

Headphoneus Supremus
The wire leads on the LED for my old Musical Fidelity X10-D have broken off, so I no longer have any power indication. Need to replace it, but it just appears to be epoxied in place, so I'm thinking I need to:
- Drill away the existing LED until a clean metal hole is created
- Measure the voltage and current of the cct board's LED output
- Source an appropriate voltage/current draw/size replacement
- Glue the new one in place and connect

So given that I am an electronics moron, that means dumb questions
eek.gif
:
- How specifically do I measure the output from the cct board with a multimeter? What am I looking for?
- What are some good sources for replacement round LED's that don't specifically come with panel mounting hardware?
- Are LED ratings based on voltage and current draw, or are there other factors?
- Has anyone worked with LED's on the old MF X-Can form factor? Any shortcuts or advice?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 19, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson

- What are some good sources for replacement round LED's that don't specifically come with panel mounting hardware?
- Are LED ratings based on voltage and current draw, or are there other factors?

Thanks in advance!

these two I can answer

A Good viable source for LEDS is actually Ebay. You can pick up bulk leds cheap. I Just bought 10 6kmcd Blue leds and some 100 red 3kmcds for a grand total of 7 bucks shipped. Meanwhile in stores they're selling the same brightness led for $3.99 each.

Second, LEDS are rated in their Voltage, Their Current Draw, Their Intensity(Brightness), Hours of use, and Wavelength.

You really only should care about the first Three V,C and Intensity. You dont want something that will blind you from 90 feet

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

- Drill away the existing LED until a clean metal hole is created

You should be able to just break the epoxy seal off it and remove it that way instead of taking to it with a drill which could end in disaster
Quote:

- Measure the voltage and current of the cct board's LED output

Without the working led in there you won’t be able to measure the right voltage/current as the led greatly affect the way it works but you might not have to measure it....
Quote:

- Source an appropriate voltage/current draw/size replacement

I would take a good guess that nearly any standard led would work well enough in there that you could go out and choose any you want to put in there, just lay off the ultra-mega-super brights as they may give problems

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 8
I just wanted to mention you can't really measure the current, as it is related to voltage and the resistance of the diode that no longer works, so you really can't measure it, but it doesn't really matter.

I'd think most LEDs would work in place.

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffy
You dont want something that will blind you from 90 feet

Well i dont know about you... but...

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 8
If your just replace the LED with the same color you should be, "at least close" to the right voltage and current. Here are some reference points:

Red LEDs: approx. 1.7 volts @ up to 20ma
Green LEDs: approx. 2.0 volts @ up to 20ma
Blue LEDs: approx. 3.6 volts @ up to 20ma

Each color has different voltage drop.

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the responses, guys!
waytogo.gif
And thanks Ed for the PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back