DIYEDEN SVDAC05 & Great March II
Dec 4, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Yotsuba

New Head-Fier
As I was watching about other DIYEDEN/Musiland DACs, I found this one that is apparently new.

20061201213847125.jpg

20061201213847528.jpg

I really love the design. Seems to have the same features than the Musiland MD10 (discussed here), but I can't read chinese, so I don't really know... And all google told me is that the price seems to be about 2 times less than the MD10.

Anyone has more informations about it ? Or can read chinese ?
biggrin.gif

It seems that they're also releasing a "Great March II".

20061201215814969.jpg

(more info)

This one's too sexy, but doesn't have USB input this time...

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 12
teh great march II would look sexy next to my corda aria. =T

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 12
I think the SVDAC05 is the domestic version of the Musiland MD10...
If you look at the photos of the MD10 here:

http://www.diyeden.com/eng/Article/S...p?ArticleID=54

It looks REALLY similar.

At the same time, the price of the SVDAC05 is around 1000RMB on the various auction sites (~$130USD) and the MD10 is reported to sell for $360USD... here's one heck of international markup, if you ask me. Almost as bad as the Grado situation.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the same time, the price of the SVDAC05 is around 1000RMB on the various auction sites (~$130USD) and the MD10 is reported to sell for $360USD... here's one heck of international markup, if you ask me. Almost as bad as the Grado situation.

But, iFi Audio here in the states has it for $270 plus shipping.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 12
I keep on forgetting about iFi Audio... sorry, I just read some of the posts that turn up in Google ("it can retail as much as $360 for the overseas market! this is one of the few units left in China!"... etc.)

but either way, going from 980RMB to $270 US is pretty steep.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep on forgetting about iFi Audio... sorry, I just read some of the posts that turn up in Google ("it can retail as much as $360 for the overseas market! this is one of the few units left in China!"... etc.)

but either way, going from 980RMB to $270 US is pretty steep.

From what I've read, the retail price of the SVDAC05 is 1360RMB.

The MD10 supposedly has a different analog stage, more menu options, and higher resolution LCD panel.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 12
http://www.musiland.com.cn/chn/Artic...201211319.html

From what I understand, there's also no integrated headphone amplifier, unlike the MD10.

If these are all the differences between these 2, I'd be more interested by the SVDAC05. I don't really like the flashy LCD on the MD10, and I already have an amp. But seeing the prices, I think the DACs in themselves can be different. I'll try to contact DIYEDEN/Musiland to learn a little more about this.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 12
I've been researching DACs as the next step in my Head-Fi journey and had been particularly interested in the Great March because of the variety of inputs. I won't be buying for a while yet so maybe this next version will be available by then. However, since this one doesn't have USB, I'm not sure. Does anyone know how to select which input to use on a Great March? There are no buttons or switches other than the power.

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yotsuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.musiland.com.cn/chn/Artic...201211319.html

From what I understand, there's also no integrated headphone amplifier, unlike the MD10.

If these are all the differences between these 2, I'd be more interested by the SVDAC05. I don't really like the flashy LCD on the MD10, and I already have an amp. But seeing the prices, I think the DACs in themselves can be different. I'll try to contact DIYEDEN/Musiland to learn a little more about this.

According to your link, there is a headphone amplifier in the SVDAC05.

The core dac chip (CS4398) is the same as in the MD10, but like I said, the analog stage is supposedly quite different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedpoet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been researching DACs as the next step in my Head-Fi journey and had been particularly interested in the Great March because of the variety of inputs. I won't be buying for a while yet so maybe this next version will be available by then. However, since this one doesn't have USB, I'm not sure. Does anyone know how to select which input to use on a Great March? There are no buttons or switches other than the power.

From what I've read, it automatically selects the input that has signal coming in. If more than one of the inputs has signal, then I guess priority is given to one of the inputs.

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 12
The GM does automatically select inputs. Priority seems a bit random, usually whatever is plugged in first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back