DIY Voigt Horn worth building?
Jun 9, 2003 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

punosion

100+ Head-Fier
I recently ran across this website ( Valutronic ) and they have some plans for a DIY speaker:

http://www.valutronic.se/vh1e.html

Any of you people who know about this stuff think that building this is worth it? I'm not experienced at all when it comes to speakers, especially of this sort, and wonder if anyone else has an opinion of this. Would this be worth my effort to build?

cool.gif

Jun 9, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, I was hoping that I could harness the knowledge of the experienced users here. I trust the people on this forum more than I would some other forum that looks like AudioAsylum
wink.gif

Besides, their Search function is broken
rolleyes.gif

Jun 9, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 9
i supplied that particular link because they are a courteous, affable bunch with some real character and personal preferences, much like here. go forth and post.

Jun 9, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Many guys use the Fostex drivers, which are featured in one of the designs on T-N-T, here:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyloudspeakers.html

This isn't horn stuff per se, but it is a good starting point to find out about quality, full-range drivers. Also check out "Classic Audio," which is a good site/primer on the Fostex full-range stuff - the heart of many DIY horn designs.

http://www.fostexspeakers.com/fostex.html

GnD

p.s. If this is the first time you have been to TNT, give yourself a few hours of playing time!
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 9
The following is my experience -- but it's just my opinion and other people might hear different things with their ears.

I tried the "Herb Jeshke" pipe, modified a little as Bob Brines suggested to smooth the frequency response.

I used the RS 1354 drivers that everybody was so wild about in these pipes. Used them with push-pull tube amps and SETs.

They sounded okay for really cheap speakers, but they were huge & I was willing to pay more ($299) to get a lot more quality sound from a DIY project (Adire HE 10.1's). They were not particularly efficient, so they didn't do dynamics very well, and the frequency response was ragged and rolled off compared to full-rangers with better ($$$$) drivers I've heard or crossover speakers. I tried unsuccessfully to give away the cabinets for a year, and finally called the county trash department to haul them off.

I also built the Hawaii 5.0's everybody raved about. I liked them for reasons I can't quite explain, but I sold them quickly thereafter for $90 or so and never had second thoughts.

There are a lot of "budget" bookshelf speakers out there (Axiom and Paradigm entry level models come to mind at around $240) that will whup the Voight pipe, unless you spend $100 or more on a pair of Fostex drivers to run in them, in which case it will still be a question of taste whether the Foxtex pipes beat the bookshelf models.

Still, if your budget is under $100, these might be the speakers for you. Check Bob Brines' pages for folded designs that will give you the same sound with less MDF.

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 9
Yah, I saw that post Budgie. It kinda' got me discouraged, so I decided to post this thread!
confused.gif
redface.gif

If not, what about TNT Audio's PrimaLuce design? Quite a hefty price-tag, but looks mighty cool! Plus, Italian-made car audio drivers! Mmmm....
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back