DIY Viablue Jack TRS Stereo
Sep 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BLIZOR

New Head-Fier
Hi,

It's my first post so i will briefly introduce myself before to bother you with my existential questions :
My name is Florian, i'm French (that will explain my harsh english, sorry about it) from the south of France, i'm 20 old and i now study at a nurse school in a Belgian school.

Well, this post is more for some DIY stuff rather than a presentation, most of you don't care about who i am so let's get in the heart of the subject :

i'm about to order the necessary stuff to build my own Cable with high quality VIABLUE components
but i'd like before to have your "approbation" to order as you will verify with me if everything will be compatible with everything

I'd like to interconnect my KRK RP8 G2 with my Apogee duet 2 with :

2 x 2m cables
Stereo
TRS
6.35 jack

Here are the components i'm about to order :

VIABLUE NF-S1 Interconnect Cable Symétrical (X4)
http://www.audiophonics.fr/viablue-nfs1-interconnect-cable-symetrical-p-2168.html

Red Nylon Sleeves 5-14mm (X4)
http://www.audiophonics.fr/viablue-gaine-tressee-rouge-514mm-p-719.html

VIABLUE T6S Jack 6.35 Stereo Gold Plated (X4)
http://www.audiophonics.fr/viablue-t6s-jack-stereo-bronze-plaque-24k-p-4646.html

+ Some thermo retractable sleeve i already own.

What do you think about it ? Is it alright to place order ?

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi Florian, welcome to Headfi!  And welcome specifically to the wonderful world of DIY audio.  

I don't have an apogee duet 2, but looking at the specs online, you should be fine with that setup.

By the way, I am now going to start calling heatshrink "thermo retractable sleeve."  It sounds way cooler to me.  

Have fun and post pictures!

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the welcome, and for the encouragements.

I arrived here because in the French forums, its look like no one knows what means quality sound, and when i posted almost the same thread on a French forum, i only had answers like "Why such an expensive cable" or "Keep your money". But ***** that, i'm not that rich, but i want quality and it looks like i found my place here with you.
beyersmile.png

Quote:
By the way, I am now going to start calling heatshrink "thermo retractable sleeve."  It sounds way cooler to me.  

Have fun and post pictures!

Haha, yes it's much better like that, let's forget about the thermo rectal thing !
ph34r.gif

And don't worry about the pictures, if i succeed in my project, for sure i'll post some pics here.

By the way, i placed my order some minutes ago. let's wait for now...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 11
It has been quiet fast as i had to wait only 2 days to get my order.
It has arrived about an hour ago and here are the pictures of the stuff i recieved :

http://imageshack.us/g/838/img1999gf.jpg/

I will maybe build it in the afternoon if i find the time.

Note : As you can see in the pictures, i changed my mind and choosen the "Neon" Nylon Sleeve, i have to say i'm very satisfied of the colour as it's much more flashy than the pictures i found on the internet.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 11
Nice!  I like the Viablue sleeving.  I think the Redline is my favorite.  Definitely post pictures when you are finished.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 11
Hi,
i've been trying to make my cable today and i've had a big problem there.

I saw, when i "splitted" or "opened" the cable (sorry i don't know the correct word in English) i saw :
The red little cable with the metal conductors in it
The black little cable with the metal conductors in it
but the 2 whites cables that were supposed to be (i guess) the ground are EMPTY.
No conductors in them, so i contacted the store i ordered the cable from and i'm waiting for any reply from them tomorrow morning...

If any of you have an idea of what the hell is wrong with my cable, please help...
I'm going crazy with that stuff...
confused.gif

The cable in question is that one:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/viablue-nfs1-cable-modulation-symetrique-p-2168.html

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Looks like it isn't a quad conductor cable despite being called the quattro.  The two empty cables are spacers to keep the twist of the two conductors symmetrical.  Looks like the cable has two braided shields that you could use as the ground.    I haven't done that before, but it should work ok.  Hopefully someone else can chime in.  I usually braid individual wires and don't use a shield.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 11
For balanced interconnects, use the braided shield for ground, connected to the Sleeve on the TRS jacks.
Red and black go to the Tip and Ring, these carry the signal and inverted signal.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Looks like it isn't a quad conductor cable despite being called the quattro.  The two empty cables are spacers to keep the twist of the two conductors symmetrical.  Looks like the cable has two braided shields that you could use as the ground.    I haven't done that before, but it should work ok.  Hopefully someone else can chime in.  I usually braid individual wires and don't use a shield.

Quote:
For balanced interconnects, use the braided shield for ground, connected to the Sleeve on the TRS jacks.
Red and black go to the Tip and Ring, these carry the signal and inverted signal.

May one of you be kind enough to draw me a quick schema of the soldering i have to make, i'm not sure to really well understand every point that you guys explained to me (thanks to my bad english understanding)

In résumé, i have to sold the red and the black, like explained here : http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/15/1000x500px-LL-152334ae_via_blue_3.5mm_internalcopy.jpg

But how am i supposed to solder the two braided shields as the ground ?

Will that be fine with the quality, because it looks to me like an extra solution, despite i bought some "high quality" supposed to be cables...

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 11
Well I don't speak french but I see "2 conducteurs" which would explain it.

Personally I don't know about using the shield, looks like foil not braid to me?

Are there any 'drain wire/s' ?

Otherwise I don't see foil working too well, too flimsy and not as good as a copper braid for conductivity.

PS - I have seen similar cables at work (bit more down to earth pricing though) was a cable designed for serial data, 2 screened twisted pairs with plastic stranding around the pairs. So it should definitely be possible to get something like that in a less wallet friendly brand. Although to be fair those would've made ugly interconnects, being concrete grey and all.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 11
OK here's the product description in english, http://viablue.de/com/nfs1_silver_quattro_analogue_audio_cable.shtml

We find an answer to an earlier observation, the Quattro part of the model name refers to the quad screening.

Quote:

But how am i supposed to solder the two braided shields as the ground ?

Will that be fine with the quality, because it looks to me like an extra solution, despite i bought some "high quality" supposed to be cables...

Balanced audio cables are supposed to be 2 internal conductors plus a shield. It's not a question of quality.

Just use part of each of the stranded shields and twist them together and solder to ground. Snip of the excess from each shield, and also snip off the foil shields.

The shield goes to the body of the plug, the red and black conductors to the Tip and Ring connections.
It doesn't matter which is red or black as long as you do it the same for all the plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back