DIY Tube Trap: Acoustic Enhancement
Aug 25, 2005 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

headchange4u

500+ Head-Fier
I found this on the web today. It instructions for building a tube trap which is a type of acoustic treatment. Most traps I have seen are for bass, but it says these help to diffuse high frequency sound into the room. Looks like a fun project.

If you look at the pictures of his listening room at the bottom of the page you can see that he puts these thing to use. Looks like a bit of overkill to me.

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 4
question do you have only headphones or speakers too? That is not overkill in the least. Look at the walls otherwise. There's nothing on them all perfectly flat something i've battled with for a long time.

My eventual solution was similar if a bit ghetto. I stacked up a few boxes in one spot which caused the most echo along the flat wall in my room, and hung my bathrobe on it. Perfect no but it helped a lot!

If only speakers were as easy as headphones to setup. My system sounds soooo much better in my sister's room :cry:

Aug 28, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 4
Before starting room treatments, I would spend some time figuring out where you have problems in the room and reading up on the best way to deal with them. There are particular approaches depending on your need to reduce relfections, absorb certain frequencies, etc. Doing this right involves making physical and acoustic measurements, interpreting them and coming up with a proper solution.

Some advice can be found in places like the Acoustics forum on AudioCircle.

Aug 28, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Actually the best thing you can do is invite a friend over. If there's only one place causing problems along the wall then if he walks up and down it you should be able to pinpoint it straight away.

Agreed something like this can't be blindly placed and needs to be planned. There's every chance that it could suck the trebble straight out of the room. A friend with acoustic treatment in his room had to remove it after he put a massive soft couch along the back wall. All of a sudden the room was so soft that the normally warm and laid back B&W sound just sounded dull and lifeless.

That said putting boxes or dunas up is a great way to experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back