DIY Tube or SS Phono Preamp
Feb 7, 2003 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hi, all.

I am looking to possibly make some sort of phono preamp (tube or SS, doesn't matter) that will best my Creek OBH-8. Where should I look for circuit designs?

I'm a bit of a newbie, but I am confident that I can lay out and execute at least some sort of simple something. I would prefer it if it followed these guidelines:

1. not insanely complex
2. no ultra-expensive parts (If I could build this for under $50 that would be great...I already have good breadboard, solder, iron, hookup wire, etc., so I'm talking purely electronics parts and a RadioShack plastic enclosure for that price).

Thanks.

- Sir Mister Matt

Feb 8, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 8
seduct1.jpg

Bottlehead Seduction

There ya go!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
There ya go!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, yeah! Innit like $250 for the kit, dawg? I be lookin' f' less 'spensive.

Wallijon, thanks, I'll check it out on google. Would have done that in the first place, but I was hoping someone would just know of a good one to recommend right away.

Thanks,
SMM

Feb 8, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 8
well you could look for a nice one in an old piece of gear, remove it, give it a new power supply, update the caps with polys, etc. and use new wires. so if you find a nice old receiver in the goodwill for $10 (like a marantz, luxman, rotel, fisher, technics (Spec 1), pioneer, onkyo, arcam, etc) just rip out the separate phono section, and viola. make mine class A, please.
biggrin.gif

the hardest part will be going to the library and looking at all of the schematics. then head over to ebay and look for the non-working receivers or integrated amps. if possible see what's in your local state to cut shipping costs.

Feb 11, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 8
not from my personal comparisons but having read some online reviews it seems they are very close but the Aleph Ono has a bit more detail , slightly depper soundstage and a tad more bass definition .
Not glaring differences but there if the system can resolve them , and not all can so for the build price/ease i would most often recommend the Pearl .

But the Aleph plans are available for comparing , download the service manual

http://www.passlabs.com/aleph.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back