DIY tube headphone amp
Jun 8, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 5
DIY is *never* inexpensive. True, a project may cost less money, but that always leads to another that leads to another that leads to another.

For a reasonable priced custom-built amp contact either JMT or Tangent (www.tangentsoft.net/audio) for a quote.

I haven't seen a quote from JMT but I can say that Tangent is *very* reasonable. For the quote I requsted I was expecting it to be nearly double what was quoted.

If I recall correctly his bottom-end cheap model was a CMoy for around $69 (don't quote me on that). For that you really wouldnt be able to buy all the gear you need to make one.

I haven't seen anyone doing custom tube builds but those guys might for a price.

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

a CMoy for around $69 (don't quote me on that). For that you really wouldnt be able to buy all the gear you need to make one.

That actually might be enough to get just the equipment and parts you need to build a full Levallois on the Hansen board. The reason you might want someone else to build you an amplifier is so you don't have to bother putting it together and worrying about it not working properly. Kind of like buying a complete computer system from Dell rather than buying individual components and assembling it yourself. Similar advantages and disadvantages.

Jun 10, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 5
I strongly suggest Kevin Gilmore's designed amp. I made a cmoy with natural bass-crossfeed by jan meier and the kevin amp. I think the kevin amp is much better.

If this is your first amp, I strongly suggest you make a cmoy first then make the kevin amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jayel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back