DIY tube amp suggestions
Dec 27, 2004 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ElChupahueso

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, here's the scenario: every year my dad gets a puzzle for christmas that he does, and then puts away never to be seen again. So i'm thinking to myself, whadda waste of time. I mean, he could be building an amp that'll be WAY more useful; albeit WAY more costly, right? So i'm looking for a good project for him.

Here's the deal, it'll be used with a pair of cd3k's playing mainly metal/industrial/punk, etc. (no, he doesn't listen to that kind of music, it's for me. I figure, if i'm buying all the parts, and he's gonna be teaching me how to solder, etc during the process, it'll be for me. If he'd like one for himself, i'll totally kick in for one for him) Which is why I felt that a tube amp would be the way to go. (yes i know there's the argument for SS, which is all great good and wonderful, but I want tubes on this one) He was an electrical engineer for 35 years at Hughes Aircraft's microelectronic circuts division, so he's got the skills needed to build one. In fact, i was joking with him last night about it, and when i suggested one that had a PCB he replied, "oh that's no fun. All you have to do is solder the components on it." So he's all for the hand wiring. Since he's uber-meticulous, i have no doubt that it'll be a clean build. At any rate, I was looking at some of the projects listed on the head-wize page, and wondered if anybody had an opinion as to which would be a good way to go. Budget wise, i'd prefer to keep it below $800, but I know it'll end up costing me more because that's just how diy goes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Decay

PS: as a follow-up project, i'd like to build a DAC. So if anybody has any suggestions for that also, it'd again be greatly appreciated. Only major requirement is that it has an optical input to run it from my av-710.

Dec 27, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Best place to start looking, as always, is the HeadWize library. There is something there to suit all skill and budget levels, and are, on the whole, very well written and accessible.

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back